Click Here For Boxscore
Reds 5, Rays 0 (click image for boxscore)

THE GOOD: Attendance. The ESPN crew took their shots. But 20,000 on a Monday night against the Reds is a good crowd...Jeremy Hellickson. We probably should reserve a spot for him in the bad also, so maybe we are just being generous. But the defense failed him last night. And the Reds are a solid offensive unit. He gave up a career-high 8 hits. But he also struck out 9 with just 1 walk. Not the best Hellboy you will ever see. But he did seem to battle. And he got no help from the guys behind him…Sam Fuld. No words. Just watch the VIDEO.

THE BAD:Evan Longoria. Hey, we know we’re beating a dead horse here, but Dirtbag’s head is all kinds of screwed up right now. Not only has he struggled with the bat (the Astros series being the exception, not the rule), but he seems lost with the glove also. And that is very troubling. Last night he booted two ground balls. On top of that, he was called out for passing Ben Zobrist on a flyball out. Mind you, this was a flyball that was in front of Longoria. Dude needs a trip to the DL with a sprained brain. Maybe he can get the number for Matt Garza’s shrink.

THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings was out of the line for second straight game with a sore wrist. He did pinch-run late in the game…If somebody was going to hit the catwalks for a home run, you just knew it would be Jonny Gomes.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• James Shields wants to pitch in the All-Star game, but seems to understand the math. [BayNews9]
  • Evan Longoria admits he switched to no-batting gloves after striking out in Houston. The next at bat he hit a home run and then said “Oh, the gloves aren’t working and I hit well without them before the game so I may as well try something new”…And yet, Longo finds it “comical” that people are talking about the gloves. Huh? [TBO.com]

DOWN ON THE FARM

• DURHAM: Alex Cobb gave up 2 runs in 6 innings with 6 Ks and just 1 walk…Jake McGee was pounded for 2 runs in 1.2 innings…CF Brandon Guyer was 1-5 with 2 Ks.
  • MONTGOMERY: Chris Archer held Jackson to 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 2. His ERA is down to 4.98….SS Tim Beckham was back in the lineup, and went 0-3 with a walk.
  • Fort Myers 4, CHARLOTTE 0: Kyle Lobstein gave up 4 runs in just 5.1 innings, striking out 5 and walking none…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4. He is now hitting .333…2B Tyler Bortnick went 0-3.
  • Great Lakes 4, BOWLING GREEN 3: CJ Riefenhauser gave up 3 runs (2 earned) in 5 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 1…SS Derek Dietrich was 3-4 with a double. He drove in 2.
  • Staten Island 7, HUDSON VALLEY 3:
  • PRINCETON 3, Danville 2: RF Drew Vettleson was 2-4 with a triple…LF Josh Sale had 2 hits including a double.

Jeremy Hellickson (via TampaBay.com)

Jonny Gomes (via TampaBay.com)

Tags

congratulations Longo! They say if you watch baseball long enough you will see everything...IN 50 yrs of watching MLB and little leaague I have never seen a playere (8yro or older) pass his teamate on the basepath...
    Maybe two men on same base..but NEVER passing...
    FOR that Longo you win the Dumb Ass award of the day...almost two days in a row...Sun for not running out a flyball to left that you didn't know was a home run and got thrown out(reversed)...but one day dumb ass is still a dumb ass...you win!

• mary says:

You find so much pleasure in making comments about Evan. You are truly
      a dumbass.

• Don says:

Just remember if you are under 18, you could get him in a lot of trouble...

• mary says:

Was that a response to me,if so you are truly a loser. You know nothing about Evan or what might happen when a person makes an error, clearly you have never played the game. Errors happen, didn't Zobrist make an error. You guys are always saying its because he drinks and chases women. You dont know anything about him and your not paying him either.

• mary says:

I just really need to know whar your personal issue is with Longoria, because your comments are always so negative and you are always making a comment about his personal life.

2. cg says:

just got my new yorker happy to see the profile on Super Sam. I don't know how I didn't know it was going to be in there. Excited to read it.

3. Jordi says:

And Longo should have fielded the ball Brignac tried to make a play on that led to a run. Maybe if someone didn't take away his AK and ruin his good day.

4. Alex says:

Just give Sam Fuld the gold glove.

5. Ro says:

My Reds fan dad in law emailed and asked, what's up with your Longoria?

Ugh.

6. LoLJFH says:

I think he has spent too much time filming commercials and living a charmed life with "other interests" the past year that he is not as centrally focused on baseball as he was/should be. I worried about that over the winter when it was reported he was becoming the true superstar this team needed for "national attention". Well, now we've got it and look what has happened to him. If he hadn't been so spectacularly solid the first few years one would probably be able to forgive him a little. He is just making little mistakes consistently that we are unaccustomed to with him that makes you wonder where his head is. I think he could use a Crawford or Pena-type influence again, he may not be up to the task of leading just yet.

• mary says:

All the more reason to cut him some slack, how many truly bad days has he had since he came up. No wonder they all have anxiety about this game, you love them when they dont make a mistake, but you are all so quick to find a problem with there"head " or their personal life when they have a bad day. He has stated that he likes getting the attention for the team and they clearly needed some kind of attention. The team has been much better with him on it. Because someone has a bad day , he can"t be a leader. Had a bad day, Rays are still a very good team and Longoria is a great player

• mary says:

And do you think that Longoria decided to make commercials himself and wasn't asked by sponsors and the team? Seriously, should he turn them down? I suppose thats what you would do

• LoLJFH says:

I don't know what I would do in his shoes and what happens behind the scenes but you obviously know it all. Re-read my post and then have an intelligent conversation and don't go Homer on us. See what he is doing this year as opposed to the past 2 years when he WAS singularly focused on baseball. Although I am sure no Ray ever did anything bad and none ever deserved criticism right Mary? Mine is an observation that I think he has had too many things going on away from baseball and he is not as focused as he has been. What other explanation do you have pray tell? He didn't struggle as much in the past nor make the same mental errors or consistent fielding errors, so what else is it? What has changed his focus? What has him distracted? What is the difference? Any answers? And yes, he may have wanted the attention but the fact is he probably couldn't handle it as fast as it came to him (hence my Crawford/Pena note that he is missing some leadership skills or someone he can relate with/look up to) - happens all the time to young major leaguers, NFL'ers, NBA'ers. I am not saying he is a bad guy, a bad player (my favorite honestly), a bad role model, a bad citizen or we should dump him. Nope. You have to be honest with yourself and agree he just isn't the same player this year and his defensive lapses, offensive slump (excluding last weekend), various stances (and all that lunging in the batters box) and approaches, base running mishaps (and lets be honest - he should have been running anyways in Houston on the one he "thought" was out - he was right on his call - but the fact is he wasn't paying attention to the crew calling the game - it is Baseball 101). Maybe you think I am attacking unnecessarily, maybe you have a better explanation.

• mary says:

You sound like the know it all, I happen to personally know him quite well and take offense to all you think you know what" goes on in someones head type of people" . He made mistakes that he hasn't made before, it happens. could end up those are all the errors he makes all year! Next week nobody will remember that he even made an error. But the comments about his personal life are getting old. You people dont know anything about these guys personal lives and yet you seem to think that certain players lives are so much more " derelict " than others. You shouldn't make those kind of judgements

• Daredevil says:

Mary: it's certainly nice to have the perspective of someone who knows a player. However, Longoria has performed well below expectations this year, so criticism will be coming his way until his performance consistently improves. I love Longoria as a player, but he has really disappointed me this year. I am still cheering him on, but yesterday was indeed an embarassment. Something has messed with his psyche this year, or his confidence.

• LoLJFH says:

So your entire argument is "I know him, leave him alone"? AGAIN - read MY comments from which you have posted on. Read it carefully. Never once have I accused him nor considered him "derelict" or unprofessional or uncaring or questioned his personal life. Not sure where you got that!! I'm glad you personally know him, maybe you are too close to the situation - but I really don't care. Gee, I guess because the guys on the radio broadcast and the TV say he is not having the same year and he is tinkering too much and continuing to struggle in various areas of his overall game they don't know him either (I believe BA even said on Sunday "what was he thinking" when he ran past Zo). I expect errors, I expect bouts of slumping, I expect games here and there with less than 100% commitment for various reasons (general comment, not a condemnation of EL) - it's a long season. I never expected absolute perfection, but then again we have almost come to expect it from him based on his body of work.

7. Caity says:

I think Daredevil took the words right out of my mouth, and out of curiousity Mary, how do you know him?.

• Don says:

From a church meeting..what do you think??

• Caity says:

Church Meeting?. Cut him some slack Don. Oh wait, you wont.

• mary says:

You are a loser

• mary says:

Are you now assuming to know if goes to chuech or not. You really should keep those assumptions out of your comments.Your opinion really doesn't matter to anyone , but it is annoying how you just keep coming with your bitter comments about Longoria

8. Ro says:

Wow, glad I came back to check out comments. I think one thing we can all agree on is that we like Longo so the fact that he's in a slump disappoints us. I'm sure he'll come out of it, and everyone is allowed bad times.

9. Huey Lewis says:

Don is the 1 constant in my life. When all else fails me in life, I can always count on him to be there making totally insane, totally irrational comments day in and day out. I just click on RaysIndex.com, find the comments section on basically any article, and there it is! I see "Don says:" and then I just read away and smile. Thank you, Don. You are always there living up to your role as the resident Chicken Little. THE SKY IS FALLING!!