The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Attendance. The ESPN crew took their shots. But 20,000 on a Monday night against the Reds is a good crowd...Jeremy Hellickson. We probably should reserve a spot for him in the bad also, so maybe we are just being generous. But the defense failed him last night. And the Reds are a solid offensive unit. He gave up a career-high 8 hits. But he also struck out 9 with just 1 walk. Not the best Hellboy you will ever see. But he did seem to battle. And he got no help from the guys behind him…Sam Fuld. No words. Just watch the VIDEO.
THE BAD:Evan Longoria. Hey, we know we’re beating a dead horse here, but Dirtbag’s head is all kinds of screwed up right now. Not only has he struggled with the bat (the Astros series being the exception, not the rule), but he seems lost with the glove also. And that is very troubling. Last night he booted two ground balls. On top of that, he was called out for passing Ben Zobrist on a flyball out. Mind you, this was a flyball that was in front of Longoria. Dude needs a trip to the DL with a sprained brain. Maybe he can get the number for Matt Garza’s shrink.
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings was out of the line for second straight game with a sore wrist. He did pinch-run late in the game…If somebody was going to hit the catwalks for a home run, you just knew it would be Jonny Gomes.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- James Shields wants to pitch in the All-Star game, but seems to understand the math. [BayNews9]
- Evan Longoria admits he switched to no-batting gloves after striking out in Houston. The next at bat he hit a home run and then said “Oh, the gloves aren’t working and I hit well without them before the game so I may as well try something new”…And yet, Longo finds it “comical” that people are talking about the gloves. Huh? [TBO.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM: Alex Cobb gave up 2 runs in 6 innings with 6 Ks and just 1 walk…Jake McGee was pounded for 2 runs in 1.2 innings…CF Brandon Guyer was 1-5 with 2 Ks.
- MONTGOMERY: Chris Archer held Jackson to 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 2. His ERA is down to 4.98….SS Tim Beckham was back in the lineup, and went 0-3 with a walk.
- Fort Myers 4, CHARLOTTE 0: Kyle Lobstein gave up 4 runs in just 5.1 innings, striking out 5 and walking none…SS Hak-Ju Lee went 1-4. He is now hitting .333…2B Tyler Bortnick went 0-3.
- Great Lakes 4, BOWLING GREEN 3: CJ Riefenhauser gave up 3 runs (2 earned) in 5 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 1…SS Derek Dietrich was 3-4 with a double. He drove in 2.
- Staten Island 7, HUDSON VALLEY 3:
- PRINCETON 3, Danville 2: RF Drew Vettleson was 2-4 with a triple…LF Josh Sale had 2 hits including a double.
Jeremy Hellickson (via TampaBay.com)
Jonny Gomes (via TampaBay.com)