Major League Baseball announced today that BJ Upton has been suspended two games for his ejection and subsequent meltdown in the ninth inning of Wednesday’s game. Upton is appealing the suspension and will be in uniform this afternoon.

As we mentioned earlier, we understand why Upton was upset. The umpire screwed him. But at the same time, Upton did not do himself any favors by bickering about good calls earlier in that game. And because he lost his cool, Upton will not be available to help his teammates for two games.

1. Jason says:

I’m sorry, but I cant hate on Upton for this. I dont care if he argued earlier in the game. The fact is, the ump missed a call that was on the paint…if the paint was the batter’s box. Absolutely horrible call and one that SHOULD get someone suspended…but that someone is the ump.

• Cork Gaines says:

The umpires do face discipline from the league, but it almost never made public. And Upton has to know how to keep his cool in that situation. Want to yell and make a point and get ejected in the 9th inning? That’s fine. But he completely lost it. As Rob Neyer said, Upton is lucky it was just 2 games.

• Jason says:

I think Id be more likely to agree if it wasnt Angel and West…they are just too often at the center of umpiring issues and rays.

• MJ says:

Regardless of why or how this went down, who or what was justified, upton can’t flip his sh!t like that.

• Jason says:

Like I said, I cant blame Upton. If ive been rung up 4 times and at least 6 of those strikes were just ridiculous calls, id probably go apeshit too.

• MJ says:

Understood. Assuming his replacement isn’t better than he is (which may be debatable), his tantrum hurts his team and is ultimately selfish.

• Cork Gaines says:

I hope this doesn’t sound like I am belittling BJ, but it is kinda like when a kid is being called names at school and then the kid punches the bullies and gets suspended. The actions may have been understandable and maybe even justified. But in the end, the kid just hurt himself. Sometimes you gotta be the bigger person.

2. Amanda says:

Did you see Francona flip his sh*t in last night’s game? West and Hernandez again. I almost wonder if they goated BJ into something.