THE GOOD: David Is King Again. We already offered our thoughts on Price being pulled with 1 out in the 9th inning. But before that, he was as good as ever, striking out 10, walking none, and giving up just a 9th inning unearned run. And he did it in 2010 fashion. Of his 118 pitches, 99 were fastballs…Ben Zobrist. We’ve been critical of his defense a bit this year. But in the span of two batters on Thursday, he has made us believers again. After just missing the runner at first after making a spectacular play in short right field, Zobrist made an even more spectacular play turning a double-play. Evan Longoria bobbled the groundball. Zobrist knowing he needed to hurry took the throw and made a perfect, quick and strong throw to first to end the inning.
THE BAD: Will The Real Sam Fuld Please Stand Up? Fuld led off and went 0-4. Three times he came to the plate with runners in scoring position. And only once did he even advance the runner…Sean Rodriguez. We know there have been some calling for Rodriguez to play shortstop more often since Reid Brignac couldn’t hit his way out of a paper sack these days. And we know Joe Maddon wanted to give Briggy a couple of days off to clear his head. But why not have him in the game in the 9th inning as a defensive sub. Still nothing wrong with his glove. And yet if David Price wants to be pissed about not getting a complete game, he need look no further than Rodriguez’ poor throw that let the leadoff batter reach in the 9th.
THE TELLING: Johnny Damon had 2 hits, giving him 2,600 for his career, passing Steve Garvey for 76th on the all-time list…Jeff Niemann is probably heading to the DL…Felipe Lopez has cleared waivers and has accepted his assignment to triple-A…Reid Brignac got the day off and will most likely sit again today in one of those Joe Maddon-wants-you-to-clear-your-head moves.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Raymond had an interesting outfit on yesterday. Because, if you want to stereotype Mexicans, wear a sombrero and a poncho. [30FPS]
- Durham pitcher Dane de la Rosa has been suspended for his involvement in a beanball battle earlier this week. [WDBB]
- Rocco Baldelli has been serving as a scout for the Rays in preparation for the upcoming draft. [MLBTR]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 4, Syracuse 3: Edgar Gonzalez struck out 6 and gave up 3 runs (2 earned) in 6 innings…JP Howell threw a scoreless 7th inning, walking 1 and striking out 1…CF Desmond Jennings was 3-5 with a double…LF Justin Ruggiano hit his 5th home run and stole his 6th base…C Robinson Chirinos was 1-3 with a walk. He is hitting .189.
- MONTGOMERY 5, Carolina 3: Chris Archer walked six and gave up 3 runs in 4.2 innings…Matt Bush struck out 2 in 1.1 scoreless innings…DH Nevin Ashley hit his 5th home run…SS Tim Beckham was 2-3 with 2 walks.
- Jupiter 2, CHARLOTTE 0: The Stone Crabs managed just 5 hits. S Hak-Ju Lee was 1-4 with a pair of strikeouts…2B Tyler Bortnick was 0-3 with a walk.
- BOWLING GREEN 9, Lake County 8: SS Derek Dietrich’s grand slam in the 7th, his 5th home run, capped a comeback from being down 7-1, giving the Hot Rods an 8-7 lead. After Lake County tied the game, 1B Phil Wunderlich’s 4th home run was the game winner in the top of the 9th…Enny Romero gave up 7 runs in 2 innings, but only 1 was earned.
What do you think the other two are thinking when Wendy Nix said this?
John Jaso (via Sportsnet.ca)
Rays prospect Emeel Salem covering “Teenage Dream”