THE GOOD: The Duke. OK, we like to crap on Andy Sonnanstine a lot around here. So it is only fair that we point out his value to the team. After Jeff Niemann was pulled with an injury, Sonny gave his teammates 3 shutout innings and kept the Rays in the game.
THE BAD: BJ Upton. Bartholomew Jedidiah went 0-4 with 4 strikeouts, including 3 Ks looking. He only swung at 1 of the last 7 pitches he faced. And in his final at bat, the bat never left his shoulder. This led to BJ flipping his sh*t and getting ejected (here is the video). Upton is probably going to face a suspension for that little tirade…Umpires. With the two runners on and trailing 3-1, Sam Fuld grounded into a double-play. Joe West, who was screened from the tag at first, originally ruled Fuld safe. He then checked with his crew to see if Fuld was indeed tagged and then changed the call, ruling Fuld out, and the inning over. Joe Maddon was eventually ejected (here is the video). A look at the replay showed that it didn’t even matter that Fuld might have been tagged as his foot clearly beats the tag attempt. Even if the other umpires can see a tag, how do they know if it beat Fuld to the bag?
THE TELLING: Jeff Niemann was pulled in the 4th inning because of back stiffness. Joe Maddon called it precautionary. But is this what we saw at the end of his last start?…Evan Longoria was dropped to the cleanup spot with Johnny Damon hitting third and Ben Zobrist up in the 2-hole…Avril Lavigne has been added to the post-game concert series (May 28)…The Rays will wear Navy Seal t-shirts for their upcoming roadtrip to honor those that took down Osama Bin Laden…Ricky Romero will not start today for the Rays. He will be replaced by Kyle Drabek.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon on the play that led to his ejection: “If ever a play screamed for instant replay we saw it at first base in the 7th inning tonight. I think Joe West got it right the first time.”
- Turns out Joe West only reversed the call after misunderstanding his partner Angel Hernandez, who said Sam Fuld had indeed beaten the tag. [NationalPost]
- Here is video of Joe Maddon and BJ Upton discussing their ejections. [The Heater]
- Here is a breakdown of Rays new reliever Brandon Gomes. [RaysProspects]
- Here is a poetic look at Sam Fuld. [Pitchers and Poets]
- Michael Lortz spoke with Rays prospect Alex Colome. [MiLB]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM: (no game scheduled)
- MONTGOMERY 8, Carolina 1: Matt Moore struck out 9 in 5 innings, giving up 1 run on 2 hits and 2 walks…LF Stephen Vogt had a single, double and a walk. He drove in 3…RF Reid Fronk homored for the second time in 4 games…SS Tim Beckham went 0-4.
- Jupiter 5, CHARLOTTE 4 (16): Alex Colome allowed 3 runs in 6 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 4…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 2-8 and 2B Tyler Bortnick went 3-7.
- Lake County 4, BOWLING GREEN 1: CJ Riefenshauser gave up 3 runs (1 earned) in 5.1 innings. The Hot Rods were held to 1 hit and no walks, with two Lake County pitchers facing the minimum…SS Derek Dietrich was 0-3 with 3 Ks.
Rays visit All Children’s Hospital