THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. It is nice to once again have a legit big league all-star-caliber bat in the lineup. Dirtbag is just fun to watch. And last night’s double and home run were sorely missed in April…Cesar Ramos. Just when it looked like the Indians were going to blow the game wide-open, Joe Maddon turned to Ramos in the 4th with 2 on and only 1 out. Two pitches later, Ramos had a double-play ball and killed the rally. He then pitched a scoreless 5th inning…Matt Joyce. His home run in the 4th tied the game, and then his double in the 6th tied it again. Oh yeah, and Sweet-swingin’ Matty is now leading the AL in hitting at .356.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. It started ugly (3 straight hits including a HR). It got better (he somehow survived the 1st giving up just 1 run and retired 7 of 8). But then it ended just in the nick of time before the floor gave way (of the last 7 batters he faced, 4 walked and 1 hit a HR)…Dan Johnson. Enough already. It is mid-May and the Rays’ DH is hitting .122 with 1 home run and 3 RBI after yet another 0-4 night…The Professor. Yep, me. I was a baseball player and as such was as superstitious as anybody. That is to say, a lot. But I also know that there may actually be a relationship between a player’s beliefs and what happens on the field. On the other hand, it is silly to ever think that what one says or writes as a fan has any effect on the outcome of a game (e.g. talking about a no-hitter). But we can’t help but feel a little responsible when Kyle Farnsworth walks in the winning run, just hours after we wrote about how the bullpen might not be as good as we think. My bad.
THE TELLING: Sean Rodriguez started at shortstop…Johnny Damon did not start, but made an appearance as a pinch-hitter in the 9th inning…Sam Fuld’s home run in Fenway Park earlier this year is still the shortest home run in the big leagues this season (323 ft)…BJ Upton wants to serve his suspension Thursday and Friday.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Is Joe Maddon hinting that Reid Brignac is about to lose his everyday job? [TampaBay.com]
- And would Joe Maddon actually use a consistent lineup? We are skeptical. [TBO.com]
- Rafael Soriano is having an MRI on his elbow today. That can’t be good. [Twitter]
- If you ever wondered, who was the guy that bought that one Brian Stokes jersey back in 2007, here is the answer. Taken before one of the recent games in Baltimore, THAT is a diehard Rays fan (thanks Jason). [Image]
- So, according to the Rays, size DOES matter. [IMAGE]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 2, Indianapolis 1 (11): Edgar Gonzalez went 7, giving up just 1 run on 3 hits and 3 walks…LF Justin Ruggiano had 2 more hits in 6 at bats including the game-winner in the bottom of the 11th…RF Brandon Guyer was 1-5 and CF Desmond Jennings went 0-3 with a walk…C Robinson Chirinos was back in the lineup and went 2-5.
- MONTGOMERY 2, Chattanooga 1: Matt Moore struck out 7 and walked 4 in 6 scoreless innings. He allowed just 2 hits, both singles…Matt Bush struck out 2 in 2 innings, but did blow a 1-0 lead in the 8th inning…SS Tim Beckham was 1-4 with a pair of RBI.
- Brevard County 7, CHARLOTTE 0: Alex Colome gave up 3 runs in 5 innings, walking 5 and striking out 5…Jake Jefferies had 2 of the Stone Crabs 6 hits. He also walked twice.
- Fort Wayne 5, BOWLING GREEN 4 (10): Enny Romero struck out 8 and walked just 2 in 6 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 4 hits…3B Robby Price was 3-5 with a double and a triple. He drove in 1…SS Derek Dietrich went 1-5.
Andy Sonnanstine is a man of many talents.