The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Matt Joyce. Joyce was 2-4 with an RBI on a night when the Rays needed a lot more than 1 run. But what was “good” was that Joyce’s two hits came off of lefty Derek Holland. It was just the fifth start of the year against a lefty for Major League Baseball’s leading hitter.
THE BAD: Wade Davis. Did Andy Sonnanstine steal Big Dub’s jersey? Davis faced 22 batters. 12 of them picked up hits and 14 of them reached base. In the end, Davis gave up 7 runs and didn’t finish the third inning. And that’s it. Sure the Rays had the tying run at the plate in the 6th inning. But with 2 outs, the Rays still only had about a 10% shot at winning the game at that point. Coming back from Davis’ mess would have taken a minor miracle…Oh Wait. There was one more. The defense. Actually, just Sean Rodriguez, who committed 3 errors at shortstop, just a day after we heard he would start to see more playing time at the position. It also marked the first time this season that the Rays committed more than one error in a game.
THE TELLING: As expected, Alex Cobb was
called up, with Brandon Gomes being optioned to Durham. Cobb will start tonight…Casey Kotchman is sore, but not expected to go on the DL after spraining his ankle Sunday…Jeff Niemann threw a 50-pitch simulated game and “felt pretty good.” He will now make three rehab starts. If all goes well, he’ll be back in the rotation around June 20.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We asked this question last week, and now SI.com is saing James Shields is the early favorite for the Cy Young Award. [SI.com]
- Finding great catchers is difficult. [TBO.com]
- Does this move show that the Rays “plan on remaining in the region long-term”? Couldn’t this also be a move the Rays would make if they don’t know where they will be long-term, but know staying in region is a possibility? [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Here is a look at the different ways teams fudge their attendance numbers. [Forbes]
- Would Chucky coach Ohio State? [Joe Bucs Fan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 7, Columbus 4: Alex Torres gave up 4 runs (3 earned) on 11 hits in 6.2 innings. He struck out 5 and walked none…Jake McGee struck out 2 of the 4 batters he faced, picking up his 2nd save…RF Desmond Jennings was a late-inning defensive sub and tripled home a run in his only at bat…CF Brandon Guyer hit his 9th home run and stole his 6th base…Chris Carter (7) and Russ Canzler (5) also homered.
- Jackson 7, MONTGOMERY 4:
- CHARLOTTE: (no games scheduled)
- Lansing 11, BOWLING GREEN 7: James Patters made just his second start of the year and gave up 5 runs in 3 innings…CF Cody Rogers was 3-5 and stole his 11th base…SS Derek Dietrich was 1-4 with a strikeout. He is hitting .284…C Alejandro Torres hit his first home run.
Wade Davis (via TampaBay.com)