THE GOOD: BJ! Just when all hope was lost, enter Bartholomew Jedidiah Upton. BJ hit the game-winning, trot-off 2-run home run in the bottom of the 9th to give the Rays the win…Brandon Gomes. Joe Maddon didn’t waste any time throwing Gomes into a high-leverage situation. In his first day in the big leagues, Gomes pitched the 7th and 8th innings of a 2-1 game, giving up no runs, no hits and just 1 walk…David Price. Have you seen Price’s home run trot? Be sure to check the videos below (click “Read the rest…”).
THE BAD: Joe Maddon. What will it take to get Matt Joyce in the lineup against a lefty? OK, Sam Fuld has had some success against Jo-Jo Reyes. And Evan Longoria was back and you need to keep Ben Zobrist and Sean Rodriguez in the lineup against a lefty. And yes, Dan Johnson has traditionally hit lefties OK. But when are we going to see Zobrist at first base? Wasn’t this that opportunity? We know Zobrist is not yet comfy at first. But wouldn’t you rather have Joyce in the lineup at this point, over Johnson. Joyce has been hot. At some point, you have got to give the best swing in a Rays uni a chance.
THE TELLING: No surprise here. Felipe Lopez was designated for assignment to make room for Evan Longoria…Since some seem to think that ALL reactions to BJ Upton are based on race, what say you about Evan Longoria’s choice to give BJ Upton a CHOCOLATE victory pie instead of the traditional WHITE shaving cream pie?
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- JP Howell’s next stop is triple-A Durham for five appearances before rejoining the Rays. [TampaBay.com]
- Here is a cool look at how the Rays changed offensively and defensively from 2006 to 2010. Moving to the right means the offense was getting better. Moving up represents better pitching. [Visual Baseball]
- Roberto Hernandez is back in a Rays uniform. Now he can get rid of that throwback Devil Rays cap he is always wearing. [The Heater]
- Here is a closer look at Alex Cobb. [BusLeaguesBaseball]
- Jonah Keri writes about Sam Fuld for Yahoo! Sports. [Yahoo! Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Indianapolis 5, DURHAM 2 (gm. 1): Brian Baker allowed 3 runs in 4 innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 1-3…RF Justin Ruggiano had a single and triple, driving in 2.
- DURHAM 8, Indianpolis 5 (gm. 2): Jeremy Hall gave up 2 runs in 3 innings on 1 hit and 3 walks…Jake McGee allowed 2 runs on 3 hits and a walk in just 1.2 innings…DH Chris Carter hit his 3rd home run in 5 games…CF Desmond Jennings went 1-3 with a walk and his 8th stolen base…LF Justin Ruggiano had 2 singles, a walk, and 3 stolen bases.
- Carolina 7, MONTGOMERY 0: Frank de los Santos made his first start since being promoted from Charlotte. He gave up 6 runs (2 earned) in 3 innings…The Biscuits managed just 4 hits.
- Jupiter 3, CHARLOTTE 0: In his second start of the year, Kyle Lobstein worked into the 6th, giving up 3 runs (1 earned) in 5.2 innings. He struck out 5…2B Tyler Bortnick was 0-3 with a walk as the Stone Crabs managed just 4 hits.
- BOWLING GREEN 6, Dayton 2: Eliazer Suero relieved Braulio Lara in the 2nd inning after the game resumed yesterday. He struck out 7 in 5.2 innings with no walks. He gave up 1 run..3B Robby Price was 2-4 with his 2nd home run…1B Phil Wunderlich was 3-3 with his 3rd home run and a walk.
- BOWLING GREEN 6, Dayton 0 (7): George Jensen tossed 5 shutout innings with 3 Ks and now walks…SS Derek Dietrich was 3-3 with a walk and his 4th home run in the nightcap…DH Cody Rogers hit his 3rd home run.
BJ Upton (via TampaBay.com)