THE GOOD: Matt Joyce. Joyce had his hand in all three runs, driving in 2 with a 1st inning triple and later scoring after his 7th inning triple…Justin Ruggiano. After being called up earlier in the day Ruggy was forced into the game when Upton was injured. Ruggiano may have saved a run in the 4th when he cut off a ball in the left-center gap and threw out Greg Dobbs trying to stretch the hit into a double. The next batter homered. Ruggiano also had the Rays only walk…JP Howell. It was good to see Howell back on the mound for the first time since 2009. It would have been a 1-2-3 inning if not for an error by Ben Zobrist.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. What is left to say? He is not terrible. But he just not going to do much to help the Rays win as a starting pitcher. Last night, he pitched about as well as can be expected and yet he still gave up 3 runs including 2 home runs in 5 innings. The good news is that he didn’t walk anybody, or it would have been worse…Killer Double-Play. After Casey Kotchman singled home the tying run in the 7th, the Rays were set up to raise a crooked number in the frame. But then Elliot Johnson grounded into a double-play ending the threat…Crazy Like A…Joe Maddon called a hit-and-run with the pitcher at the plate. Mind you, Sonny is a good hitting pitcher. But please also mind that he had one previous at bat in the last 11 months. Let us repeat: Maddon called a hit-and-run with the pitcher at the plate 1 out and a runner on first. Sonnanstine swung through the pitch and Elliot Johnson was easily thrown out at second…Yay Interleague!Let’s all celebrate the return of interleague play by watching a professional DH play left field and eventually leading to the Marlins first run.
THE TELLING: BJ Upton left the game with tightness in his heiny. Seriously. A tight glut. But there is a good chance he can play today…David Price skipped the trip to Toronto and threw an outdoor bullpen session to prepare his body for the Miami heat.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon says Desmond Jennings was not called up because they don’t want him to be a back-up. [Twitter]
- Joe Maddon says it will depend on the pitcher, but that he has several options at first base next time Rays face a lefty, including Sean Rodriguez, Elliot Johnson, or Ben Zobrist. [TampaBay.com]
- Rays Prospectshave put together a cumulative mock draft board. Good stuff. [Rays Prospects]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Louisville 9, DURHAM 8: Brian Baker was pounded for 9 runs in 3.2 innings…DH Felipe Lopez was 4-5 with a home run…CF Brandon Guyer doubled and drove in 3.
- Huntsville 6, MONTGOMERY 5: The Biscuits lost on a 3-run home run in the bottom of the 9th…Matt Moore struck out 9 and walked 2 in 6 innings, giving up 1 run and 4 hits…SS Tim Beckham was 2-5 with a triple and a home run, his 3rd. He also committed his 6th error.
- Clearwater 2, CHARLOTTE 1: Alex Colome struck out 9 and walked none in 7 innings. He allowed 1 run (solo home run) and 3 hits…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-3 with a triple and a walk…2B Tyler Bortnick was 2-3 with a walk.
- Lansing 5, BOWLING GREEN 2: CJ Riefenhauser was touched for 4 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings…3B Robby Price had 3 of the Hot Rods’ 6 hits, all singles. He also stole 2 bases and now has 8 steals on the year…SS Derek Dietrich was 1-4, and committed his 10th error.
JP Howell (via TampaBay.com)