THE GOOD: Brandon Guyer. We weren’t even sure he would get a start in what is expected to be a short stint with the Rays, but Joe Maddon wanted to stack the lineup with right-handed bats. And Guyer came through with a 2-run home run in his first major league at bat (VIDEO)…BJ Upton. First he doubled home the Rays first run. But where he impacted the game the most was while standing on second base. During Guyer’s first at bat, Zach Britton threw to second once, faked a throw once, and stepped off the rubber three other times. Clearly Bitton was more concerned with Upton than with Guyer. The result was a 2-run home run…James Shields…Shields worked into the 8th inning for the fourth straight start. For only the second time this season he gave up a home run. But that was ok, because this was the 2008 variety in which nobody was on base. It is never the home run the kills you, but it is the baserunners. And Shields is avoiding baserunners in 2011.
THE BAD: Weather. It was reminiscent of the 2008 World Series. We have no idea what took so long for the umpires to delay the game. And when they finally did, the rain stopped and the game was only brielfy halted. And looking at the boxscore, it doesn’t look like they ever actually called for an official rain delay (check out the scene, HERE, HERE, HERE).
THE TELLING: Still no official word yet on BJ Upton’s expected suspension…Jeremy Hellickson starts today for the first time since April 28…Brandon Guyer is the 108th player to hit a home run in his first big league at bat and the first member of the Rays.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jeff Niemann will miss at least three weeks. Joe Maddon says Andy Sonnanstine could be used in Niemann’s place next week, unless he is needed before then. [The Heater]
- Here is a look at how the top pitching prospects have performed so far. [Rays Prospects]
- The Charlotte Stone Crabs are off to one of the worst starts in minor league baseball. [Baseball America]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 3, Syracuse 1: Alex Cobb, in his first appearance since making his big league debut, allowed just 1 unearned run in 6.1 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 2. His ERA is now 1.59…Jake McGee struck out both batters he faced…On the same day that fellow outfielder Brandon Guyer got the call to the big leagues, CF Desmond Jennings led of the game with a home run, and added a pair of singles and a walk.
- Carolina 8, MONTGOMERY 5: Joe Cruz dropped to 1-4 after giving up 5 runs in 4 innings…SS Tim Beckham had a single and a double and is hitting .278…DH Nevin Ashley had a pair of doubles and is hitting .326.
- CHARLOTTE 12, Bradenton 0: Alex Koronis tossed 5.1 shutout innings with 6 Ks and 2 walks…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 3-5 with a double, to raise his average to .397…2B Tyler Bortnick was 2-5 with a double…3B Greg Sexton went 3-4 with a double and a 3-run home run. He drove in 4.
- BOWLING GREEN 6, Lake County 3: Victor Mateo allowed 2 runs in 6 innings…RF Cody Rogers was 2-5 and drove in 2. He also stole his 8th base…SS Derek Dietrich was 1-3 and is now hitting .320.
Brandon Guyer gets the silent treatment in the dugout
Brandon Guyer talks about his big league debut (via TampaBay.com)