THE GOOD: BJ Upton. Nice move to appeal the suspension. Upton had himself a nice weekend in Baltimore. In the 3-game set, Upton combined to go 7-14 and drove in 8 runs. And that doesn’t include the key play (distracting the pitcher during Brandon Guyer’s at bat) on Friday night…Kyle Farnsworth. With a runner on and the Rays up 2 in the 8th, Joe Maddon went to Farnsworth for the 4-out save. Rafael Soriano did that exactly ZERO times in 2010. Also, this was already the 3rd save for Farnsworth in which he came in with runners already on base. Soriano only did that 4 times in 2010. As good as Soriano was last year, Maddon is leaning on Farnsworth in more high-leverage situations. Then again, Maddon doesn’t have Joaquin Benoit this year either.
THE BAD: Wade Davis. David started the day by walking Brian Roberts on 4 pitches. In the next 96 pitches, he walked 4 more batters and allowed 3 runs before being pulled after 5 innings…
THE TELLING: Brandon Guyer stint with the Rays is already over, as he was demoted back to triple-A. Relief pitcher Rob Delaney was called up to take his place…Many of the players wore pink accessories and/or used pink bats for breast cancer awareness…Andy Sonnanstine is scheduled to start the first game of the Indians series tomorrow.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Will MLB let BJ Upton split his two-game suspension up and serve it a few days apart? [TBO.com]
- Joe Maddon says Andy Sonnanstine will likely remain in the rotation until Jeff Niemann returns. [TampaBay.com]
- Poor Carl Crawford. He says his slump is really, really hard to deal with. [ESPN Boston]
- Funny story about a Tampa resident that gave a gigantic middle finger to their Home Owners Association over a Lightning sign in his yard (thanks Connie). [Yahoo! Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 4, Syracuse 0: Brian Baker tossed 6 shutout innings, giving up 1 hit and 2 walks. He struck out 6…Chris Bootcheck struck out 4 in 3 innings of scoreless relief…CF Desmond Jennings was 1-4 with a strikeout…RF Justin Ruggiano was 0-3 with a walk and his 7th steal…C Jose Lobaton was 1-3 with a walk, which drops his average to .339.
- MONTGOMERY: (no game scheduled)
- Bradenton 6, CHARLOTTE 2: Kyle Lobstein allowed 4 runs (3 earned) on 6 hits and 2 walks in 7 innings. He did not strike out a batter…SS Hak-Ju Lee had 3 of Charlotte’s 5 hits, to raise his average to .414.
- Great Lakes 3, BOWLING GREEN 2: George Jensen gave up 2 runs in 5 innings on 3 hits and 2 walks…LF Cody Rogers went 0-4 and is hitting .163…SS Derek Dietrich was also 0-4.
More from Rays prospect Emeel Salem
A very young David Price