THE GOOD: David Price. King David did not allow a base runner until the 5th inning and held the Indians to 2 runs on just 5 hits in 8 innings. In his last two starts, Price has allowed just 9 hits in 16.2 innings with 17 Ks and no walks. None…Sam Fuld. Kid needed last night. He went 3-4 with a walk including two of the bigger hits on the night. His RBI-double in the 2nd inning started the scoring. And his RBI-single in the 4th made the game 3-0 and gave the Rays a sense of control…Joyce and Zobrist. There were players on this team we knew would be good. And there were players we knew would suck. But if this team was going to compete we knew the Rays needed big years from the guys in the middle. The guys we thought could be good, but weren’t sure. At the top of that list were Ben Zobrist and Matt Joyce. So far, good. And last night both homered.
THE BAD: Reid Brignac. 0-5. Including the postseason, the Rays have played 55 games since Briggy Baseball last had an extra-base hit. That is a span of 117 plate appearances.
THE TELLING: BJ Upton has dropped his appeal and will start serving his 2-game suspension today…Joe Maddon said Andy Sonnanstine will likely stay in the rotation and start on Sunday. Why? WE HAVE NO IDEA.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Steve Duemig has signed an extension with WDAE. Duemig said on air that the deal means he will be staying with the station for “a couple of years.” [TampaBay.com]
- Kevin Lai of The Hardball Times wonders if any of the surprise teams this year are mimicking the 2008 Rays. [The Hardball Times]
- Here is a roundup of mock drafts as we near the June amateur (Rule 4) draft. [Rays Prospects]
- Bad attendance in April is usually a bad sign. [Wall Street Journal]
- So, who is to blame for the Bucs lousy ticket sales? [Joe Bucs Fan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 1, Indianapolis 0: Alex Cobb lowered his ERA to 1.31 after 6 shutout innings. He struck out 5 adn walked 1…JP Howell struck out 2 in 1 inning of relief…Jake McGee struck out 4 in 2 shutout innings…The Bulls had just 4 hits, but Justin Ruggiano’s solo home run in the first inning was all they needed.
- Chattanooga 5, MONTGOMERY 2: Chris Archer continues to not dominate in double-A. We don’t want to say he is pitching poorly. But it isn’t good either. Yesterday he gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 5 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 3…SS Tim Beckham went 0-4 and the Biscuits had just 3 hits.
- CHARLOTTE 5, Brevard County 2: Drew Leary allowed just 1 run in 4 innings…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 0-4 and committed his 6th error…DH Jake Jefferies went 3-5 and drove in 2 runs…2B Tyler Bortnick had a single and a triple to raise his average to .316.
- BOWLING GREEN 6, Fort Wayne 3: Victor Mateo gave up 3 runs in 5 innings, including 2 home runs. He struck out 5…DH Cody Rogers hit his 4th home run and 1B Todd Wunderlich added his 5th home run and went 3-5.
The Zobrist-Upton handshake ends as you would suspect it would
David Price (via TampaBay.com)