Yesterday Willy Aybar signed with the Edmonton Capitals of the Independent North American League. We had been wondering why no Major League team would even give Aybar a minor league deal.

Turns out it may have been because Aybar was sentenced to three months in prison in the Dominican Republic after he beat his wife. According to a report from his home town, Aybar’s wife ended up in intensive care for an extended period of time, in critical condition.

Here is the translated news story that ran in January on a news site from Aybar’s home town…

Three months of preventive detention were imposed today in the morning January 30, the player of GdesLigas Willy Aybar, for violating a restraining order and hit his wife.

Ms. Aybar, hit that remain in intensive care, despite being confined to her home with normal and in critical condition, because the family did not want to keep it inside, to avoid comments that could damage the reputation of a player.

However, this time the slugger’s Licey Tigers, Willy Aybar has been put behind bars for 3 months, which sentence was issued on this day at the request of the prosecutor of Family Protection, Peña Marinelis his lawyer Jorge de Los Santos, asked Judge Milton

Cabrera, a review of the case, but lawyers commented that it is unlikely to be released, because it violated a provision that prevented him from approaching the home of Mrs. Aybar, because previously had beaten and released for payment of a financial guarantee of 300 thousand dollars, I pay cash. El palacio de Justicia de la ciudad de Bani estuvo hoy muy concurrido en la mañana por seguidores del pelotero. The Palace of Justice in the city of Bani was very popular today in the morning for baseball fans.

As mentioned in the story, this is not the first time Aybar has run afoul of the law when it comes to his wife. Aybar was arrested in 2008 for abusing his wife just after he signed with the Rays.

If Aybar started his sentence immediately and

spent the entire three months in prison, he would have been released two weeks ago. This may also explain why he signed with a team in Canada, as Aybar may not have been able to obtain a work visa to enter the United States.

Aybar was a serviceable big leaguer with a career .340 OBP and the ability to play several positions. But we would be surprised if he is good enough to be welcomed back.

1. angry bob says:

Talk about getting low low low low low low low low. What a PoS.

2. Andy says:

I’d sign 1000 Josh Hamilton/ Steve Howe types before I knowingly hired a wife-beater to come work for me.

• Lroy10 says:

I think there where rumors of him being in the Hambino/Howe boat before coming to Tampa. That was the reason the Braves let him go to begin with, then as soon as he got here he went all Fly Eli on us.

• Andy says:

He was in alcohol rehab before being traded from Atlanta, and first arrested for domestic violence shortly before coming here th first time. So its hard to fault the Rays there. But my general point was that I wish these types of incidents (Brett Myers comes to mind) were treated more seriously by he league and general managers.

3. Gus says:

Probably hit her with his glove — that think was harder than granite. Good riddance. Just surprised that Cork (and not a BBWAA hack) had to break the story.

Rays have had bad luck with Dominicans generally, it seems, from Juan Guzman and his dead arm to Jesus Colome and his dead pedestrian to Manny and his dead bat and now Aybar and his dead brain.

• Andy says:

They did a pretty good job getting one MVP type season, and a few above average seasons out of Carlos Pena before he tanked. Also didn’t mind what we got out of Rafael Soriano last year.

• Gus says:

Soriano for sure; Pena is domincan, but really is from suburban Boston, where he moved as a boy from the DR. Don’t think we can count him.

I’ll have to look deeper. Just seems like especially in the dark D-ray days, we were always getting a tough story out of a guy from the DR.

• Sarah says:

Gus, you are kidding me. You’re not really trying to make some kind of offensive “can’t trust those [fill in ethnicity/nationality of choice]” arguments, are you?

You’ve always seemed, from your posts, to be a pretty level-headed guy, so I’m going to assume I’m missing something here and you aren’t really engaging in completely unsubstantiated racial profiling.

• Gus says:

My point is that maybe the Rays don’t do a good job with Dominican scouting and signing players from the DR, or whatever, but they’ve had bad luck with those guys. Maybe they underestimate the impact steroids (widely available in the DR) has on the numbers of DR guys? Maybe they don’t have the right guys scouting down there?

Lord knows the DR guys have been killing Rays pitching for many years. The Rays and D-Rays seemed to have done a poor job figuring out what kinds of guys will be worth the investment. Even a guy like Aybar, if he had improved his defense, he could have been a better player, not just a pinch hitter/DH. The Rays just haven’t seemed to have had good luck or good production from the times they’ve signed guys from the DR.

4. bbmern says:

This comes as quite a shock to me because he seemed like such a nice guy. I am very disappointed; I liked him. I don’t believe it’s right to stereotype people because Carlos Pena and a lot of other great players that come from the DR are decent, wonderful human beings.

5. angrybuddha says:

Didn’t we all worry that he was *that guy* right after the 2008 incident? I know I always thought of him as, “the guy that beat his wife, got replaced by Evan Longoria, and turned into a useful fill-in every time an infielder got hurt ” Really hard guy to root for, though, because of that wife beating thing.

I dunno… I hope that all Rays fans that were paying attention back then aren’t surprised…

6. Paul says:

After Willy left the Rays, I always had that vision of him in the dugout during ALCS Game 7, screaming and gesturing at DP “1 more!!! 1 more!!!”. I loved that moment, and it was always going to be a rosy memory of Aybar for me.

Until this…..