William C. Rhoden of the New York Times wrote a piece this weekend looking at the early season struggles of Carl Crawford and how he is handling the scrutiny of the Boston media. And in doing so, Crawford took a subtle jab at the Tampa-St. Pete sports media…

It’s fascinating in sports to see how star players react to changes in scenery, especially when the change is as drastic as going from a market like the Tampa Bay area, with minimal news coverage, to Boston…“You go from a team that doesn’t have much tradition to a team with a lot of tradition,” Crawford said.  “Being watched all the time, the attention you get — that’s the biggest difference…In Tampa, I was able to hide and do a lot of stuff, and people wouldn’t really notice. Now it’s like your every move is watched all the time. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s nice to be noticed, but that’s the biggest difference.”

This just reeks of somebody that is desparately trying to say the right thing for the Boston media.

When Crawford was playing with the Rays, did he ever seem like a player that wanted to be noticed? Quite the opposite. This is just speculation, but Crawford always seemed like a guy that just wanted to do his job and be left alone.

If anything, it appeared to us that the Tampa Bay media was just respecting his wishes. And that is the sort of respect Crawford will never get in Boston.

1. Tony says:

I sure notice your .200 batting average Carl.

Carl has been desperately trying to say the right things since he started playing baseball! Thats probably why he never got the attention/respect at Tampabay, superstar athletes get in other markets. he certainly had the right to go off on MGT. and MEdia in this market on a number of things (his resigning here would be a start).
    IF that would have happened in Boston,... Red Sox Mgt would have been looking for a hole to hide in before the media/fans got done with them!

3. Rg says:

Information about the Rays would be scarce, if not for sites like this, if you had to depend on "The Heater".
    My moniker is a link to the Red Sox blog at the "Boston Globe". Notice the difference between it and The Heater.

• Beth says:

Yeah, so what? And I'll bet Harvard has a nicer campus than USF, too. Why even make the comparison?

And I would agree that Carl never struck me as someone who wanted MORE public focus on him -- maybe more recognition (Gold Glove, eg) but dozens of column inches scrutinizing his slump?

• Rg says:

The point is, it would be nice for us Rays fans to have a source of information like the Red Sox fans have. This site and others do a pretty good job of keeping us informed, but the Saint Petersburg Times, the home town paper, does a crap job, imo.

• Carey says:

Yeah, and I'm sure the University of Florida (and F$U) get a lot more ink in the Times than BC gets in the Globe. Your point? Last time I checked, the Times usually has one front page Rays story jumping to an entire page (or two) of stuff inside. And, quite frankly, that (link) doesn't look much better than the heater anyway.

• Rg says:

We obviously have a difference of OPINION, and I hope that is allowed here. I feel that if one relies on the information supplied by "The Heater", one would be woefully under informed. I stated my point in my above post. I'm not going to do it again.

4. robert says:

I think with the Trop emptier than ever, his point is well taken...

• Marc says:

The Trop is bleeding fans for many reasons. Stu and company being less-than-subtle about how terrible the Trop and it's location is tells potential fans: don't bother, we're moving; and tells Joe Average fan, thanks much, but we're moving. They threw down the gauntlet with that and that alone is making a move out of the Bay area more likely.

The first 10 years of the franchise really scuttled a real foundation here. "Win and they will come" is too simple - on both sides of the argument.

A team publicly bemoaning attendance already has one foot out the door.

5. I have never had a pleasant experience at the Trop. Bad seats, shitty food, stale beer, and way too expensive prices have repulsed my family and I. I have been a baseball fan since 1960, if they can't get me to go anymore, they'll never get most casual fans to endure their games. I recently asked my daughter if she wanted to go see Darrius Rucker for her birthday, she was excited, until she learned that she would have to see a Ray's baseball game. We went to the movies instead. My 18 year old son has more excitement and fun playing X-Box every day than watching baseball.

I watch 150 games a year on TV, in the comfort of my living room, and I fast forward through the commercials and crap. That is reality.

• Carey says:

Yup. Me too. And while I support Rays management on almost everything, I still scratch my head thinking about the prison raping they took on that TV deal. Smart guys, for sure, but they really bungled that one.

• Don says:

DO us all a favor stay in you living room all by yourself watching TV.
      Sounds like you and you son are waisting a wonderful life!

• Sarah says:

Listen, I don't think anyone is going to wax poetic about the magic of Tropicana Field. But expensive prices? Compared to a minor league game maybe, but not to any other major league team. Bring your own food if you don't like theirs. And presumably your kids aren't drinking the stale beer.

Just because your kids don't like baseball, don't blame the Trop. They'd be just as bored at Yankee stadium, but you'd be paying 3 times more for the privilege.