As the Rays’ designated “down 14-2″ reliever and backup starter, it is not unusual for Andy Sonnanstine to go a week or two without making an appearance. So what does The Duke do with all that free time? Apparently he wrote a book.

Tampa Bay Rays IQ: The Ultimate Test of True Fandom (Volume 1) is a new book co-authored by Sonnanstine and Tucker Elliot.

This is apparently the fourth installment in a series by Elliot, that includes similar books on the Braves, the Yankees, and Major League Baseball in general. Although it is interesting to note that Elliot did not have a co-author with the other books.

We haven’t read the book yet, but it will be interesting to see how much “did you know?” overlap between this and Jonah Keri’s new book, The Extra 2%.

In the meantime, Sonny needs to hire Keri to promote this book. It has not received the same level of media blitz that Keri pushed on his book. And as a wise man once said, if you aren’t going to promote yourself, who will?

1. Des from Durham says:

Question No. 1: What batter tormented the Rays' Andy Sonnenstine to the point that his entire major league existence relies upon his at bats v. Sonny.

Answer: Cleveland's Ben Francisco (8 for 9, 5 HRs, 12 RBIs and 1 BB).

(Hence my hesitations giving Andy the start in Cleveland tomorrow)

2. Kevin says:

My question is how Sonnanstine didn't even get on the cover of his own book

3. Connie says:

I just noticed that! hysterical!

• Scot says:

My guess is that Andy is smart enough to realize that Shields might sell, but he wouldn't. Anyone read or even look at this book?

4. Rytor says:

I wish the cover was that picture of Andy giving the antler ears in Texas during the ALDS last year. Classic Sonny.

5. St. Aug Ryan says:

I wish Sonny would get cut from the team. Can't stand watching him throw bp. I can't figure out how this guy is pitching in the majors. Bring up Cobb again. So, I wont be watching tonight. I am tired of screaming at Maddon through my TV. Hopefully the Rays can score a bunch of runs and win a slugfest. Go Rays!

6. Mark Walden says:

Read the book - it's a good read. It has a lot more info in it than I ever thought about.