THE GOOD: Matt Joyce. Sweet-swingin’ Matt Joyce and his 3-run home run was one of the only bright spots on a night that you could tell just wasn’t going to go the Rays way…Juan Cruz. With the Rays still only down by 1, the Angels loaded the bases with just 1 out. Cruz relieved David Price and got Erick Aybar to ground into a double-play. He then retired the Angels 1-2-3 in the 6th inning.
THE BAD: David Price. It just wasn’t King David’s night. 12 hits and a walk in just 4.1 innings, giving up 5 runs.
THE TELLING: If Andy Sonnanstine is not the starting pitcher tomorrow, look for Alex Cobb, who skipped his start on Thursday, to make his big league debut. Cobb, the Rays 4th round pick in 2006, is 3-0 with a 2.05 ERA and 29 Ks (6 walks) in 22 innings.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Yesterday, I took the GBT over to JoeBucsFan.com to break down first-round pick Adrian Clayborn, a player I am very familiar with. [JoeBucsFan]
- Turns out Jake Thompson did not tear his ACL. He is actually just on the DL with a sore elbow. Sounds like MiLB.com got a couple of players mixed up. [Claw Digest]
- Joe Maddon is confident that James Shields can keep performing well due to the changes he made to his mechanics this off-season. [TBO.com]
- Here is a good look at how various hitting prospects have performed so far. You’ve got to like what we have seen early on from Hak-Ju Lee. [RaysProspects]
- David Price is looking at a big jump in pay next winter, possibly a record-setting rate. [MLBTR]
- Not sure if we should care about this, but Manny Ramirez might not be retired after all. It seem he wants to play winter ball in the Domincan Republic, where steroid rules are a bit more lax. [SportingNews]
- Here is a look at Rafael Soriano’s struggles with the Yankees (thanks Andrea). [NorthJersey.com]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 3, Louisville 2: Short-handed, Durham used 4 relief pitchers. After Mike Ekstrom allowed 2 runs in 2 innings, Rob Delaney, Dane de la Rosa, and Brandon Gomes combined for 7 shutout innings with 8 Ks and 2 walks…CF Desmond Jennings doubled twice in 5 at bats…DH Chris Carter hit his first home run…RF Brandon Guyer went 2-5 and is 31-83 (.373) in 23 games.
- MONTGOMERY 7, Jacksonville 3: Matt Moore struck out 8 and walked just 1 in 6 innings. He gave up 2 runs on 3 hits…3B Evan Longoria was 1-4 with 2 strikeouts…SS Tim Beckham had 2 singles and is 22-81 (.272) in 21 games.
- CHARLOTTE 1, Jupiter 0: Alex Colome struck out 10 and walked 1 in 7 shutout innings. He gave up 3 hits…SS Hak-Ju Lee was 1-3 with a walk. He has been on base 30 times (22 hits, 8 walks) in 12 games…2B Tyler Bortnick was 2-3 with a double.
- BOWLING GREEN 5, Great Lakes 2: CJ Riefenhauser struck out 11 and walked just 1 in 6 innings, giving up 1 run on 4 hits. He also hit a batter…LF Cody Rogers went 2-5 with 2 stolen bases…SS Derek Dietrichwas 1-3 and 1B Todd Wunderlich drove in 2 with a single and a double.