click above image for boxscore

THE GOOD: The Bats Were Due. The Rays scored a whopping 16 runs. That is the most scored by the Rays since they dumped the Orioles 17-2 in September, 2007. The Rays also scored at least 3 runs in 3 different innings. Each of those innings provided more scoring than 7 of their first 9 games. Of course, we need to see more of this before we proclaim the season saved, but this was a good start…Sam Fuld. This guy is about 5’2″ and 95 pounds soaking wet. But he makes the most of that scrawniness. Fuld was 4-6 with 2 doubles, a triple and a HR that just dropped over the short porch down the right field line…Johnny Damon. The Idiot returned home and answered the boobirds with a first inning home run.

THE BAD: Matt Joyce. Joyce is a solid defensive right fielder, except apparently when it comes to diving. The Sox scored their first run when Joyce made a horrific dive attempt towards the right field line. Besides, somebody should tell Joyce that heroics are not necessary with a 7-run lead…Cycles Are Overrated. Sam Fuld’s night shows just how overrated it is to hit for the cycle. Fuld needed a single in the 9th for a cycle, but instead hit a 2B. So his night (4 extra-base hits) was better than hitting for the cycle, and yet a single would have put Fuld in the record books as just the second Rays player to hit for the cycle (BJ Upton, 2009).

THE TELLING: Dan Johnson is now back to wearing the number 24, since Manny Ramirez apparently no longer wants it…The Rays entered the night 1-8. But with the win, the Rays are now in sole possession of 4th place (head-to-head tiebreaker).

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Evan Longoria hopes to start a rehab assignment in two weeks. And tomorrow, JP Howell will throw the first of three batting practice sessions. After which, he will start his own rehab assignment…In the same piece, Marc Topkin writes about Manny Ramirez’ conversation with Joe Maddon after learning of his positive test. [TampaBay.com]
  • Manny Ramirez tested positive to something different from his positive test in 2009. [TampaBay.com]
  • Do you think the editor that wrote this headline has been watching “G.I. Joe” recently? [TampaBay.com]
  • Ha! Somebody is trying to sell a ticket to Manny Ramirez’ last game on eBay. Think they will? (thanks Michael) [eBay]

DOWN ON THE FARM

• Charlotte 4, DURHAM 3: Alex Torres, the Rays 2nd best pitching prospect in the minors, struck out 9 and gave up just 2 hits and 1 walk in 5 scoreless innings…CF Desmond Jennings was 1-3 with a walk…RF Brandon Guyer added 2 hits in 4 at bats.
  • MONTGOMERY 10, Birmingham 3: Nick Barnese lasted just 3.2 innings in his first start, giving up 3 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks. He struck out 5…1B Stephen Vogt was 2-3 including a 4th inning grand slam that broke open the game…DH Matt Sweeney added a 3-run home run in the 6-run first inning.
  • CHARLOTTE 7, Palm Beach 5: Alex Koronis was solid in his first start, tossing 5 shutout innings with 7 Ks and just 1 walk. He gave up 2 hits…2B Tyler Bortnick had 2 singles and a double in 5 at bats, driving in 2…RF Brett Nommensen was 2-5 with his 2nd steal of the year.
  • Fort Wayne @ BOWLING GREEN: postponed

Tags

1. Spiderman Fuld says:

SpiderSam, SpiderSam,
    Does whatever a spider can
    Spins a web, any size,
    Catches balls just like flies
    Look Out!
    Here comes the SpiderSam.

Is he strong?
    Listen bud,
    He's got radioactive blood.
    Can he swing on Boston Red?
    Take a look overhead
    Hey, there
    There goes the SpiderSam.

Always amazes me how the media can miss the Real Story....
    Headlines is like Fuld won the game single Handedly....
    REAL STORY..Rays come out swinging...
    DID Sheldon get fired by a pissed off Maddon after Sun.Game...
    or did Damon have another "secret meeting"...Telling the players to start swining at anything close to the plate..Hell with this waiting for (walks) so we can score 1/2 runs. Zo looked like his old self(08/09)...I have never seen a Rays team swing at so many 1st pitches since 2008.... anyway keep on with that mentality boys you will win games with runs not walks....no matter what G Sheldon says....

• Scot says:

A number of those "hits" just happen to end up where the fielders weren't. Or in Jaso's case, where a wall normally wouldn't be.

No change in style - just a change in luck.

3. nward63 (in England) says:

Because first pitch was 01 a.m. here in England I couldn't watch this game but a nearly spat my coffeee out this morning when I switched on the PC and saw the result. Thanks Rays, for brightening my day and reminding me why I fell in love with you. See you all in June (16th - 19th), I'll be having a few pre game Buds at Fergs with my son and a couple of friends.

4. Charles says:

This was probably the most fun Rays game I have ever attended. Some choice highlights:

- Guy behind me: "Why don't they show the current season ERAs on the scoreboard anymore?" His friend: "Because all of the numbers for Dice-K's won't fit!"

- In the ninth inning, the loudest thing you could hear in the near empty stadium were chants of "Let's Go, Farnsworth!" *clap-clap-clapclapclap*

- I've been to 3 full games plus the completion of a rainout in the past 3 years in April/May at Fenway and the Rays are undefeated in those games. So who wants to step up and buy the good luck charm (aka me) tickets to the rest of the series? :)

- There was a guy in the crowd in an old school Devil Rays jersey with Longoria's name/number on the back.

- Someone said to me they thought Crawford looked worse in a Red Sox jersey than Damon did in a Rays jersey. Crawford is not a fan favorite, to say the least. One guy complained "We gotta pay $140 million for 6 more years of this crap?"

- Regardless of team affiliation, everyone around us was impressed with Sam Fuld - how could they not be?

As usual, I had a blast. Even at 2-8, I am still a believer. I'm watching the game at a local brew pub tonight with some Sox fan friends, so hopefully my magic will carry over even if I am not actually there.

• Derek says:

Have you always lived there? I ask because it would be nice to know if the Rays were turning the natives against their home team.

They overpaid for Crawford, but it's not like he is as bad as he has been so far.

• Charles says:

No, I was actually born in Clearwater. I have lived up here though since before the (Devil) Rays were around. But I lived in New Port Richey for the entirety of the 2002 season taking care of my sick mom, and she was a big fan even when they were terrible and it just rubbed off on me. So I've been a fan for quite awhile. I moved up here in 1995, but I could never get into the Red Sox. I was (and still am) an Astros fan growing up - we lived near Lake Charles, LA for 6 years during my sporting formative years, so I tend to root for all the Houston teams (even the Texans, my replacement for the evil Tennessee Titans who took my beloved Oilers and flew the coop out of town).

• Beth says:

Charles, I'm with you. I lived in Boston for several years; you'd think that would have made me have fond feelings toward the region's teams but instead it turned me into a rabid Boston hater (not the city mind you, just its sports teams). Something about the smugness of the fans. NY fans are totally in your face, which certainly invites a take-down, but Boston fans have this overwhelming sense of entitlement coupled with the snobbish belief that they are on some more exalted plain than NY fans. For some reason I find it incredibly grating.

• Beth says:

oops, exalted plane (in case anyone but me cares)

• Charles says:

To be fair, not all the fans are that bad. I mean, last night there was a guy in a Rays jersey chatting it up with a bunch of Sox fans and the whole thing was pretty relaxed. But the talk radio callers - I had to stop listening. They are the first thing you think of when you think of the "typical" Boston sports fan, for better or worse, and they really do make it impossible to root for any of the home teams. The Patriots almost undefeated season made it absolutely unbearable to be around sports fans until the Red Sox came back to give people something else to complain about.

• Carey says:

Sounds like Miami. I grew up loving the Dolphins (don't really "hate" them now) and not minding the 'Canes. But meltdown Monday's on WQAM made me relish their defeats.

5. Beth says:

Can we now lose the "Lil' Sammy Fuld?" How about Sammy "the Tiger" Fuld.

6. Hal says:

Slammin' Sam's minor league stats suggest that he won't keep this up, but it's pretty fun right now. Reminds me of Brett Butler.

7. Carey says:

I know it's early, but growing up in Atlanta in the 70s and 80s, this guy reminds me of former Brave/Dodger Brett Butler. If, indeed, he is as good a player as Butler was, then he alone makes the Garza trade a good one.

That said, do we maybe consider him at leadoff (provided the numbers stay good)?

Lastly, is Sam Fuld the bane of Desmond Jennings existance? He would appear to bring everything that Jennings does to the table and I don't see them bringing Desmond up soon if Fuld continues at this pace.

• Derek says:

Jennings>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fuld.

• Derek says:

Shame. Not all of that showed up. My point was, Jennings is 100x better than Fuld. They were never going to bring Jennings up, he has started the year well, and they don't want to mess that up by having him face better pitching.

Jennings is being groomed for CF...2012 (no Upton) or July (Upton trade)

9. Alex says:

They'll make room for Desmond if he forces his way up. Dan Johnson and Kotchman aren't exactly world beaters.