click above image for boxscore

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Opening day is now sold out. That is the sixth consecutive opening day sellout. And unlike Replica Yankee Stadium yesterday, that looked half-empty, we expect The Trop to be full tonight.
  • Marc Topkin has the opening day schedule. [TampaBay.com]
  • There was a list being passed around in recent days that suggested Rays opening day tickets were an average of $6 on the secondary market. That would have been the lowest in baseball, by far. But it also wasn’t true. Here is a more accurate list. [RaysRev.com]
  • If you missed the update yesterday afternoon, here is how Wade Davis’ contract breaks down. [Rays Index]
  • And there is still time to submit your predictions for the Over-Unders contest. [Rays Index]
  • What Manny Ramirez means to the Rays. [TBO.com]
  • We are kinda glad that Jonah Keri didn’t spill all the Rays’ secrets in his book. But if there is one complaint about “The Extra 2%” this is it. [Yahoo! Sports]
  • John Romano is worried that you guys have gotten your hopes up to high for the 2011 season. [TampaBay.com]
  • Roger Mooney takes a look at the changes to the Rays, on and off the field. [TBO.com]
  • Matt Bush talks about being a bust and coming back from the abyss. [KansasCityStar]
  • Rays Colored Glasses previews the opening series. [RCG]
  • Kinda funny (in a sad way) how this writer just glosses over the fact that Evan Longoria did nothing illegal while comparing him to a bunch of athletes that broke the law. [LehighValleyLive]

Tags

BEST Holiday of the year...better than Xmas, New year, Birthday all put together....GET my seat warm and my beer cold...
    for those who didn't get a ticket for ANOTHER Rays SELL OUT......
    Sorry about your luck..Watch TV at home by yourself....ME and 40,00O of my closest (fan) friends will be partying at the TROP!
    Ge'em PRICE boy..you da Man!

2. Dre says:

wow. i read that article about Longo - absolutely ridiculous. i tried to post a question, but it's not allowing me to. either way, i really would like to know where he gets off not only comparing the situation to the likes of plaxico burress, but also questioning why Longo wasn't cited for the "incident". what would he like them to cite him for? not locking the damn window that the buglars got access to? i don't love the idea that Longo has an assault weapon either, but right now it doesn't say anything other than he has a hobby that i don't necessarily understand.

• Beth says:

I agree. I'm a huge gun control advocate and can't understand why anyone needs to have an assault weapon in his closet, but the reaction to the Longoria situation is turning me into Mrs. Charlton Heston. It's legal to own this gun, and we wouldn't even know that he had one if he hadn't been the victim of a crime. He didn't bring it, loaded into a crowded area; he didn't fire it with people around.

But that said, plea to Mr. Longoria - maybe consider a locked gun case?

3. Charles says:

Happy Opening Day everyone! My prediction: Manny goes yard, the Rays offense shows that it's no slouch even with the changes, and D. Price goes 7 strong. Rays win 6-2.

4. Mike says:

How am I supposed to get any work done today? I can taste the hot dogs and cold beer already, and know that it will be a beautiful 72 degrees with no chance of rain at the Trop tonight! Only disappointing thing is that I heard the Rays are going to 16oz beers this year. Hopefully they will make up for that with hot dog guys.

My prediction - King David dominates for 7 innings, giving up one unearned run thanks to a throwing error by Johnny "I throw like a girl" Damon (maybe I will learn to like this guy, but I still think of him as a Yankee/Pink Sock). Manny and Dan Johnson go yard, Dirtbag goes 2-4 with a walk and 3 rbi, Bossman steals 2 bags, and the Rays win 9-1.

5. Beth says:

Mike, I'm with you on the work thing. If Hillsborough county schools can close for the Florida State Fair, why isn't opening day a day off? At least they are playing in the evening, although actually I kind of miss the ritual of opening with a day game - the fun of taking the day off or, alternatively, having "MLB Gameday" on my office computer and hoping no one looks over my shoulder.

6. Carey says:

Caller on the radio yesterday (JP Peterson's Show) had the best analagy I've ever heard re. the Evan/AK incident. Went something like this.

If you won the lottery today (talking to guys, mind you), and you like cars, you might end up in something like (named many fast cars) a 427 Vette. Now, you don't "need" 400+ HP, but that doesn't mean it isn't a blast to drive. The AK is like that for gun owners. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Not sure about the rest of you, but that resonated with me (I like cars, especially fast cars) and I think I understand the situation more. I never had a problem with it.