THE GOOD: Joe Maddon. Well, if you are going to get ejected, nobody gets their money’s worth like JoeMa. After the umpires overturned their original call on a close play at first base, Maddon flipped out. Of course, this led to his first ejection of the season. Well, Maddon then proceded to eject the entire umpiring crew…Andy Sonnanstine. The Duke saved the Rays bullpen by working the final 5.1 innings.
THE BAD: Jeff Niemann. The Giraffe lasted just 2.2 innings, having given up 5 runs (3 earned) including 2 solo home runs among the first 4 batters he faced.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 1-8, 5 games out of first place. The Rays haven’t been 5 back since 2009…Kelly Shoppach threw out 2 would-be base stealers. The Rays were 0-15 entering the game.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here is video of Joe Maddon’s ejection. [Larry Brown Sports]
- Jeff Niemann sounded a bit surprised by being pulled so early in the game. [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon talks about facing Carl Crawford for the first time in the regular season. [TampaBay.com]
- Dave Schoenfield of ESPN.com is worried about the Rays (who isn’t). But it is currious that he is knocking the starting pitching and the bullpen, both of whom have actually been pretty solid so far. [ESPN.com]
- Prospect Derek Dietrich was hit in the back of the head with a pitch on Saturday. He is OK and not expected to go on the DL. [Biscuit Crumbs]
- Does Josh Johnson want off the Bucs? [Joe Bucs Fan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Gwinnett 5, DURHAM 4: Edgar Gonzalez made the start and gave up 3 runs on 7 hits and 1 walk in 3.2 innings…Desmond Jennings was 1-4 with a walk and scored 2 runs…Justin Ruggiano doubled home 2…Robinson Chirinos was 0-5 and is now 0-14 on the season with 4 strikeouts and 1 walk.
- MONTGOMERY 4, Birmingham 3: Shane Dyer struck out 5 in 4.2 innings, but gave up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks…Matt Bush blew a 1-run lead in the 7th when he gave up a double. That was the only hit off of Bush in 2 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 2 (1 intentional)…Tim Beckham was 1-3 with a double and a walk.
- Bradenton 6, CHARLOTTE 3: Merrill Kelly’s 5 walks and 3 hits led to 2 runs in just 4 innings…Ty Bortnick went 2-4 with a double.
- BOWLING GREEN 12, Dayton 9: George Jensen gave up 6 runs in 4 innings on 8 hits, including 2 home runs…Robby Price hit his first HR of the season, a 2-run shot.
Joe Maddon talks about getting ejected (via TampaBay.comn)