THE GOOD: Pitching. For all the pain inflicted by the bats this weekend, it easy to overlook just how good the pitching was. 21 Ks and only 4 walks is outstanding. And outside of Jake McGee’s batting practice fastball to Brian Roberts on Saturday, the bullpen has been solid…Minimized Suffering. One benefit of not being able to hit a lick is that the games go much faster. In the first series of the season, the games averaged a brisk 2 hours 33 minutes…It’s Early. CoolStandings.com still gives the Rays a 32.6% shot at making the playoffs. And there is more than 98% of the season left to play.
THE BAD: Going Batty. 3 games. 3 runs on just 12 hits, and only 1 stolen base (can’t steal first base). How many ABs do you need to judge a hitter? About 100? Well, the Rays have 91 at bats and are hitting .132 with a .225 OBP. We knew this team was going to struggle at times offensively. But this is the so-called worst case scenario. And it could continue for a while with Evan Longoria on the shelf for the next few weeks.
THE TELLING: The last team to start the year 0-3 and make the playoffs was the 2007 Phillies…The Orioles are 3-0 for the first time in 14 years…Wade Davis went bald after the game and Evan Longoria cut his mullet before the game (see videos below). So much for Joe Maddon’s wish that players let their hair go.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Mike Ekstrom was designated for assignment to make room for Felipe Lopez on the 40-man roster.
- This isn’t the first time he has mentioned this, but David Price says he is open to a long-term extension with the Rays. What is really interesting is that Price previously mentioned that the two sides have never discussed a long-term deal. [TampaBay.com]
- $142 million is a lot of money for Carl Crawford to bat seventh. The last time Crawford started a game batting lower than third was 2003. [Big League Stew]
- Nevin Ashley talks about his stint with the Rays during last year’s playoffs. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- The 2011 Rays is a 2008 Durham Bulls reunion. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Not everybody is excited about the idea of the Rays moving to an open-air stadium. [Downtown St. Pete]
- Rays Prospects has the Durham Bulls roster and the Montgomery Biscuits roster.
Wade Davis getting his hair cut (via TampaBay.com)
Evan Longoria sans Mullet (via TampaBay.com)