click above image for boxscore

THE GOOD: Good Starts. When Sam Fuld just missed a home run as the leadoff hitter, it was a sign of good things to come. Each of the Rays first five batters picked up a basehit, leading to a 4-run first inning...Pity The Fuld That Messes With Sam. Another hit. But more importantly, 3 more walks. And that is where his value will ultimately be offensively. The hits will cool off. But if he can continue to work counts and get on base, there is a regular spot in this lineup for a guy like that…Making The Twins Work. Led by Fuld’s 3 walks, the Rays drew 9 all-together, making Twins pitchers throw a whopping 212 pitches. The Rays will win a lot of games if the opposing team has to work that hard.

THE BAD: BJ Upton’s Awareness. If we have ever had a complaint about Bossman Junior it is that he occasionally doesn’t seem aware of the importance (or lack thereof) of a particular situation. In last night’s game he took a called 3rd strike and proceeded to bitch at the umpire all the way back to the dugout. On the one hand, BJ was right. It was a bad call. But it was also 8-2 in the 8th inning and it was snowing. BJ needs to know that the situation calls for swinging the bat. The umpire has no time for your “patience.”

THE TELLING: It snowed during the game. Seriously. Snow. But for Twins fans, that just means they take their shirts off and eat some ice creamAndy Sonnanstine pitched for the first time in 17 days…Jeff Niemann and Jeremy Hellickson will be the starters for today’s double-header…Dirk Hayhurst has gone on the DL for triple-A Durham…Dave Martinez manages to look even more homeless in cold weather.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• That “major” announcement from the Rays and the City of St. Pete? A college football all-star game is moving to the Trop. [TBO.com]
  • To Sam Fuld’s pleasant surprise, the Rays included him on the All-Star ballot, with Johnny Damon moved to DH on the ballot. [TampaBay.com]
  • Ferg’s is holding a Sam Fuld Look-a-Like contest tonight. [TampaBay.com]
  • We mentioned this photo briefly over the weekend, but didn’t show it. Cowbell Clankers offers her thoughts on the Rays first themed road trip photo. [Cowbell Clankers]
  • While Dirk Hayhurst is on the DL, he has more time to write. That means a new series on surviving in the minors. [DirkHayhurst.com]
  • Tonight is the NFL Draft. If you are a Bucs fan, you should be checking Joe Bucs Fan early and often. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

• DURHAM @ Luisville: (ppd. rain)
  • MONTGOMERY: Shane Dyer worked into the 7th inning, giving up just 2 runs on 5 hits and no walks…Matt Bush struck out the side in his 1 inning of relief…SS Tim Beckham was 1-6 but drove in 2…RF John Matulia had 2 hits and 5 RBI.
  • Jupiter 6, CHARLOTTE 2: Jake Thompson tossed 2 scoreless innings, but was pulled with “tightness” in his elbow…SS Hak-Ju Lee continues his dominance of high-A with another 2-hit night.  He is now 19-42 (.452) in 10 games since coming off the DL.
  • South Bend @ BOWLING GREEN: (ppd. rain)

Kelly Shoppach will have some sore ribs today

How Johnny Damon and Sean Rodriguez spent their off-day

David Price interviews Wade Davis (via TampaBay.com)

Joe Maddon isn’t happy about today’s double-header (via TampaBay.com)

Tags

1. Charles says:

Honestly, I'd rather have BJ err on the side of "more important" if he's going to do anything.

The Twins relievers threw almost 130 pitches last night - that could be pretty huge in the doubleheader if the Rays can get to the starters early.

• Andy says:

Agreed. These aren't beer-league umps being paid $7 an hour. If they don't like standing in the snow, they can always try and find 6 figure paying jobs with similar perks in other fields.

• Don says:

BJ errors on ANY side you want him too..He had the head Shake going...
      not so much with the finger in his ear....must be sore!

2. Tone says:

Who will be starting for the Rays on Sunday? I am on Tokyo time, but by my count Davis would have to pitch on short rest to start Sunday. I have not seen any mention of this problem.

• Andy says:

I think its up in the air. Since Sonny hasn't pitched in about 25 years, they are talking about using him as a spot starter to avoid this problem.

• Cork Gaines says:

Maddon said he is taking it day-by-day right now. But look for Sonny to get slotted in there one day

• Tone says:

I hope they destroy the Twins pen again in both games. Screw them for putting the Rays in this position. Sonny and Nieman starting two games is not good for the baseball mojo; if momentum does mean anything, then this could kill it. Friggin Twinkies.

The whole time watching the game I had to laugh at the "purest" who want to play the "game as it was meant to be" OUTSIDE in the Elements"
    ALSO include... Texas/ Miami in YOUR 100 degree heat comfort....
    ME.... I'll take my Dumpy TROP(as declared by media & morons) and sit in my 72 degree air cooled seat with my beer and ENJOY baseball.. Wonder how many of those fans were comfortable last night? OUTSIDE in wonderful Minn.....wanta guess?

• Dre says:

This. I cannot tell you how many times I wondered outloud how many fans were missing that dome. I can't tell you how many times during the summer I was at a Rays game on the first base side, and looked up to the windows in the Party Deck and thanked my lucky stars we were inside and not dealing with whatever Florida thunderstorm was rolling through. I'm thankful our stadium is inside, flaws and all.

• Scarecrow says:

I love the The Trop. I am from Pittsburgh and was used to outdoor baseball but in some cities a dome is absolutley needed. it fregging snowed in Minn last night, i thought it was Nov. !!

4. Beth says:

Re: Sunday -- I believe I either read, or heard on the broadcast, that they will go with Sonnanstine unless he is called upon for long relief between now and Sunday (e.g. another Jeff Neimann collapse). If that's the case they talked about bringing up someone for a spot start on Sunday, although I don't know whether Hayhurst's injury puts that in jeopardy.

OK, I'm going to log onto MLB to start voting a Sam Fuld all-star ballot. Wouldn't there be a great sense of victory if Fuld makes the all-star team and Crawford doesn't?

5. Amanda says:

What? No love for the Lightning? ;p

Cork, was this the first game that the Rays are above .500 this year? Or did they get over .500 once before?

• Cork Gaines says:

This is indeed the first time over .500. 94 wins is 26 games over .500. So only 25 more to go.

• Amanda says:

I never thought being one game over .500 could feel so good. Then again, from seven games under, it looks like it's the top of the mountian. lol

6. Charles says:

For the folks on Twitter, Sam Fuld has joined us (or really, Sam Fuld has allowed us to Tweet in his presence) - @SamFuld5

Just talked to one of the girls down at Ferg's..they have word that pee-
    wee herman is coming to WIN the Fuld look alike contest....cape and nothing else..sorry Fuld but you still hit better than him...