THE GOOD: Sam Fuld. This little sparkplug is becoming quite the fun player to watch. And nothing will be more fun than his diving catch in the 4th inning in the right field corner that ended the inning and saved at least 3 runs and possibly prevented an inside-the-park grand slam. You can see the catch HERE…Wade Davis. Big Dub was his typical self. He was solid if not overpowering, and kept the Rays in the game giving up 2 runs in 6 innings.
THE BAD: Jake McGee. Another rough outing for McGee who right now looks like the one weak link in the bullpen. Yesterday he faced 4 batters, walking 2 and giving up the 2-run double in the 7th that essentially ended the game.
THE TELLING: Felipe Lopez hit a solo home run in the 9th inning and flipped his bat towards the mound. This led to some angry words from AJ Pierzynski. Lopez says it was unintentional and Joe Maddon said “that’s not something you really like to see.”
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Manny Ramirez told ESPN that he is “at ease” with his retirement. [TBO.com]
- Marc Topkin points out those that really have to pay the price for Manny Ramirez’ idiocy. [TampaBay.com]
- The Chicago Tribunespoke with Chris Archer about the trade that sent him from the Cubs to the Rays. [ChicagoTribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- DURHAM 2, Gwinnett 1: Alex Cobb struck out 7 and walked 2 in his 2011 debut, giving up 1 run in 5 innings. Desmond Jennings had a single and his first home run. He added a walk. Jose Lobaton started at catcher and picked up a double and a walk. Brandon Gomes picked up the save, retiring all 4 batters he faced, striking out 2.
- Birmingham 6, MONTGOMERY 4: Joe Cruz struck out 6 in 4 innings, but gave up 3 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks including a 2-run HR. Tim Beckham was 1-5 with a single.
- CHARLOTTE 14, Bradenton 1: Chris Andujar struck out 7 and walked 3 in 4.2 innings, giving up 1 run. Tony Scelfo had 3 hits including his first home run and drove in 3.
- Dayton 5, BOWLING GREEN 4: Braulio Lara gave up 2 runs in 3 innings, but walked 4 and gave up 4 hits. Derek Dietrich went 0-2 but was pulled for a pinchrunner in the 4th. No word yet on why. Cody Rogers was 0-5 but stole 2 bases.