Now that we have had the weekend to soak in the Manny Ramirez retirement, and clear our heads and gain a proper perspective, there are a few things that I think need to be said…

F*CK YOU MANNY!

I’m sorry for the foul language, but this is horsepoop. I’m happy that Manny is “at ease” and on the way to Spain for a nice little vacation. How about a goddamned apology before you head to the airport? Huh, you overgrown piece of rat feces?

Hey, maybe we shouldn’t be surprised. And maybe the front office took a chance and gambled on you, hoping you could hang around for an entire season. But that doesn’t change the fact that your teammates, and the fans, were counting on you.

And make no mistake. My anger is not steroid driven. It is based on the fact that Manny is not here to help this team and it is his effing fault.

There were a lot of holes in this lineup before Manny was signed. And when the announcement came that the Rays were getting Manny and Johnny Damon, it gave us hope. Maybe this team would be able to score some runs. We didn’t need 2004 Manny. But 2009 and 2010 Manny was still pretty good.

And now what? Dan Johnson is this team’s DH moving forward? Casey Kotchman is the team’s first baseman? Holy fadge my head just exploded and just oozed goop all over my hopes for the season.

You are at ease? That’s nice. I hope a bird makes a nest in your hair. And I hope that bird lays five eggs. And after those eggs hatch, I hope those baby birds sh*t all over you just like you sh*t all over us.

Five games? Are you effing kidding us? You son of a motherless goat.

I can’t believe this guy wore a Rays jersey that long. Whatever the opposite of retiring a number is, I hope that is what the Rays do to number 24.

At this point, if somebody said the Rays could bring back Manny or Pat Burrell to DH for the rest of the season, I would walk to San Francisco, kidnap Burrell, stick him in the trunk and personally hand deliver him to Joe Maddon. At least that guy showed up.

*Deep Breath*

OK. I feel a little better.

But one more thing….F*CK YOU MANNY!

1. Brandon says:

Here here! I've been waiting for someone to finally say it.

2. Brian says:

Are there any moves we can make to fill that hole in the lineup? I know this is going to get one hell of a laugh but Gary Sheffield doesn't sound like that bad of an idea at this point. Let's get him out of retirement.

• Cork Gaines says:

certainly possible. but unfortunately i think there is a better chance this team just packs it in for the year. trades off some expensive pieces (Shoppach, Upton) and starts getting ready to contend in 2012

• Justin says:

Is that a bad thing?

I think the greater concern is that this season stops the fan momentum here in the Bay area.

Given the attendence data we have from when the Rays were winning, a losing team could be a disaster and encourage MLB and the management to pack it in.

• Sarah says:

Justin, I agree. From a purely baseball perspective, no problem having a year of not contending, esp. with all the draft picks they'll have going forward.

But I'm not sure this fanbase will survive a year in basement. .500 baseball with an outside shot at the wildcard and you'll still see fans coming; distant last place and the Trop will be empty. Which will then feed the "Rays have no fans" mantra.

• Justin says:

I agree, Sarah.

Although not very scientific, I'm going to be watching what people are wearing. The less I see Rays gear, the more worried I'll be. Especially if I start seeing more Sox and Yanks gear again.

3. Justin says:

Having lived in Boston during the whole Manny thing, I am not surprised.

In fact, the Rays may have gotten off easy. I'm not sure being around a player like Manny would be good for our young players. I can't say for sure. I don't know him. Maybe he was an effective leader. But the drugs thing and his possible influence on our young players... maybe we got off easy.

The front office deserves some blame here. There are factors that stats cannot predict, like Manny being Manny. While we don't have a specific stat for that (maybe someone should develop it...) we have a body of evidence that suggests that Manny affected every team he played with over the past three years. His exit in Boston is well documented, as was his attack on one of the Red Sox staff members. He was suspended in LA, and they traded him for a reason. He performed more in his press conference in Chicago than he did in the park.

No one should be surprised that Manny did something really stupid and hurt our team. I had hope for him, and I was open-minded, but I could not erase all the worry I had that he would do something like this.

4. David D says:

I respect your opinion until the Pat Burrell comment. I dont think its possible to hate an athlete more than he

5. zenny says:

"I hope a bird makes a nest in your hair. And I hope that bird lays five eggs. And after those eggs hatch, I hope those baby birds sh*t all over you just like you sh*t all over us."

Now that's some quality, coffee-spittin' stuff there, folks. Thanks for the laugh, Cork; we need it.

6. Ro says:

I wasn't around for the Devil Ray years, having not even been a baseball fan until The Rays' story grabbed me in 08, so can someone explain to me, if MLB didn't pack it in with theDevil Rays, why would they pack it in now after the first week of the season?

And will the Rays really just give up now without even seeing how things go after the season "settles in"? I know I'm sticking with this team no matter what because they gave me baseball. Will the fairweathers really ruin the team?

Oh yeah, f*ck you Manny.

• Justin says:

The concern (shared by myself and Sarah above) is that the fan base will buy fewer tickets, thus feeding the media story that baseball and the Bay are like oil and water.

I've seen steady support for the Rays over the past few years, and the Bay area has responded with great TV ratings, if not attendance. I am not convinced that a stadium move will really help the Rays long term. But don't doubt the coming narrative that the Rays need to move as a result of this season's issues if they result in lower attendance.

• Hal says:

Welcome to what the Devil Ray years felt like. In fact, I think that we should revert to calling them the Devil Rays. I was a bigger optimist than most about this year, but I'd be lying if I said the season didin't feel lost allready. Did I really just hear that our 3-4 hitters are Matt Joyce and Dan Johnson???? Oh, no! We suck again!

• maggie says:

Me too! But I'm sticking with them not only because they gave me baseball, but because I still like the rest of the guys and I live here. Who else am I gonna love?

7. nate says:

Sorry Cork, I like most of what you write on this site, but I'm not with you on this one. Perhaps I missed a major detail of the offseason but I don't believe we signed him in lieu of keeping a player from last year or signing a different free agent. We only signed him for $1 million. He didn't destroy our team but hitting like a donkey for the year and taking up a valuable place in the order. He simply stunk for a homestand and left. Am I disappointed that we didn't get what we had all hoped for? Yes. But this type of anger should be reserved for the Vinny Castillas and Pat Burrells of the Rays World.

• Andy says:

He was a package deal with Damon. Without him we don't sign Damon at 5 million. And at the time we signed the both of them, there were plenty of other reasonable options on the table, including Vlad Guerrero and Russell Branyan. After we signed them, the front office (rightfully at the time) concluded their work on the offense was done for the winter. He pretty much destroyed the entire plan to revamp the offense before May rolled around.

• Andy says:

Also, I typically reserve the worst type of anger for the players who bring shame upon themselves and the organization. By sucking, Burrell/Castilla did no such thing.

Also, Burrell didn't exactly "destroy the team". Please, name me the player who came in after he left and showed how little Burrell was to be missed. Blaylock? Aybar? Rocco? All of those guys are out of MLB this year for a reason. Even everyones hero Dan Johnson failed to hit .200.

• Cork Gaines says:

Maybe. But Friedman did say that he only took Manny and Damon as a package and wouldn't have taken one without the other. So what if they don't spend $7.3M on those two? Vlad Guerero was still on the market at the time and eventually signed for $8M with the orioles. Would they have done that instead? I don't know.

• Michael says:

Actually, the package claim was denied in the press conference. Boras confirmed the Rays wanted Damon, then Manny.

8. Carey says:

It's time to get a resolution on the Stadium. For those of you who are still on the fence, I'll say it: "This year is over!"

Now, we know it's going to be ugly this year, so why not get all the uglieness out on the table and get a f--king resolution to this and start clean - or relatively cleaner - next year. No reason to waste time. We need some kind of resolution, at the very least, with Foster and St. Pete.

And I do think a new stadium (I like something line Minute Maid Park) will make a difference. I love the Rays and I love watching the Rays (never miss a game) but I HATE the Trop. I don't know why, but to me the building just sucks the life out of any event held there, especially baseball.

The proposition is pretty simple. Either they get a new stadium in a new location or they will go somewhere. No time like the present sh-tty time to this sh-tty business done.

9. Maybe I'm being unrealistically optimistic, but I'm not ready to mail it in this early in the season, the boys, once Evan returns, could turn it around and make the playoffs, who knows. But certainly I don't want to mail it in.

Oh and ditto on the "F*CK YOU MANNY!" comment

10. Raysfan137 says:

Someone could make a few bucks in this area (and then again in Chicago and LA, maybe Boston) with F*CK YOU MANNY!" T-shirts.

11. David says:

16 runs against Boston today and I say Manny who? Now just get rid of Dan "no hit" Johnson and we can have a parade. Seriously though it was like all the runs we should have scored caught up. Now I just hope we get a boost of confidence from this and start to actually produce from here on.

12. Hans says:

He let everyone down and the Rays and Maddon don't want an apology? The man used a forbidden substance and they don't want an apology?

I found it questionable to sign a (former) steroid user and always thought the Rays organisation didn't want anything to do with that dark side of baseball and would condone the use of drugs. But they signed him, he got caught again and still no word from the Rays on this topic other that they're disappointed. Seems that Maddon wants to be friends with Ramirez for a long time, hearing him speak about him these days.. Pathetic!

• Andy says:

I'd rather Maddon be focused on what, if anything, can be done to salvage the remaining 152 games than trying to squeeze a forced apology out of a jerk who clearly doesn't give a damn.

13. Dre says:

Cork - did you happen to notice what number Dan Johnson was wearing last night? (which if i remember correctly, was his number with us last year)

14. Brian Bourque says:

Don't be mad at Manny...your team was dumb enough to sign him...

15. Brian Bourque says:

I did not say it was OK. I suffered through almost 8 years of his BS in Boston, as a fan.

I was just saying that the Rays should have known what was coming with him. The guy does not care about anything. I know the Rays were hoping for high return on a low contract, but it was just a bad move. He should have been blackballed after the last positive test and the way he quits on teams.