Joe loves the finer points of baseball, and Casey Kotchman’s tag out of Paul Konerko from Kelly Shoppach’s pickoff throw in the seventh inning was perfection.

Dan Johnson doesn’t make that play at first base. And Kotchman, per the magic of April baseball, is now a .313 hitter.

Of course, James Shields is the story, with two strong starts in a row and his first W of the season and a complete game. Joe’s going to enjoy it while it lasts from the guy who could be the best fifth starter in baseball.

With Rays starters eating innings like Joe mowing down free pizza, the bullpen and scoring runs like most American League teams seem insignificant. Wasn’t that the plan all along?

An 8-9 record never felt so good.

Tags

1. Zack says:

Wait, Shields is a #2 starter, not a fifth starter ??

• pete says:

you are correct but i do think hellboy could very well be the best #5 starter.

not sure what he is talking about either.

• Joe Rays Fan says:

Point is that Shields came into the season as the guy nearly everyone was ready to ship out of town and the fifth starter off last year’s performance. …So he was sort of the No. 5 guy coming into 2011.

• pete says:

Ahhhhh. number 2 in the rotation but number 5 in our hearts. i gotcha. i guess i was one who never gave up on his filthy change up.

2. Joe says:

God I love this team. We quietley have one of the best bullpen ERA’s in the league, we never met a diving catch we didn’t like and my god the rotation. Price, Shields and Davis have been an incredible front 3 for us, Hellickson is struggling with what young pitchers of ours always seem to have, that 1 bad inning, except his has been just bad enough that we lose. Then there’s Neimann, the clear cut #5, I don’t trust him, even if he looks solid for a few starts in a row now, he makes me want the Rays FO to deem Alex Torres ready.

3. Dallas says:

I love the line “An 8-9 record never felt so good”

It’s amazing how much better all of us feel no compared to just a short few days ago!

GO RAYS!!!

I don’t know what your problem with DJ at 1st… but I could have made that tag out with a beer in my hand…the guys foot was 18″ off the bag..
    name me one(1) significant mistake Dj has made at 1st. DJ has won us more game than Kotchman will his entire (short) career with the Rays which may be over when Longo comes back!
    Shields makes 5 solid starters.. only the Phills can have bragging rights…