The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: James Shields. “Big Blast” Shields pitched 3 innings. That is good because apparently he wasn’t in the game long enough to work on his home run pitch. He finished with just one hit and 1 walk allowed. No runs, no Ks…Joe Cruz. Cruz made his spring debut a successful one with a 1-2-3 4th inning. Cruz hadn’t pitched in a game in 10 months after having surgery last year…Tim Beckham. Beckham started at shortstop and contributed a double a walk and drove in the Rays only run.
THE BAD: Freddy Garcia. Yes, Freddy Garcia, was the Yankees starting pitcher. And the players that could be in the Rays opening day starting lineup went 4-19.
THE TELLING: Another outing for Jake McGee against the minor leaguers. McGee pitched the 8th inning, giving up one unearned run. Right now it doesn’t look like Joe Maddon has any plans to have McGee on the opening day roster…Alex Torres, part of the Scott Kazmir trade, will start today against the Twins…Jeremy Hellickson threw a 44-pitch bullpen session that went well…Jeff Niemann will start a “B” game (an unofficial spring game) today to get some work in.
RANDOM THOUGHTS: Would anybody be surprised if Derek Jeter was a minority owner of the Rays?…One of Joe Maddon’s theme road trips will apparently be “skinny jeans.” This will be worth it just to see Kelly Shoppach and Jeff Niemann dressed like they are going to play at CBGBs (RIP)…Whatever happened to Willy Aybar? He apparently left his winter league team early and is still unsigned. In fact we haven’t even heard of any teams being interested. Seems strange for a guy with a decent OBP and can play several positions.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Johnny Damon met with the media yesterday and had some fun quotes, including how he will occasionally be Manny Ramirez’ spokesman. [The Heater]
- Is this the best evidence yet that the economy is the biggest factor in local sports attendance? Even the Yankees are having trouble filling their seats in Spring Training (thanks Thad). [ESPN]
- Gee, look who will have the most games televised this Spring. [Business Insider]
- Here is more on the working relationship between BJ Upton and Rod Carew. [TBO.com]
- Why we don’t have to worry about contraction. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- This flowchart is fun…until you get to the Rays. Then it is kinda depressing. [IBD.com]
- Elijah Dukes was arrested for hitting a female. In other news, water is still wet. [TampaBay.com]
Johnny Damon on ESPN’s Spring Training Bus