THE GOOD: David Price. The next time Price throws a pitch for the Rays, it will be the first pitch of the regular season. Yesterday he held the Pirates to 1 run in 4 innings, striking out 3 and walking 1…John Jaso. Hitting power comes from the lower body. Well, that must not include the Family Jewels. Jaso returned to the lineup and hit his 3rd home run of the spring…Adam Russell. 1 scoreless inning allowing only a single hit is usually not noteworthy. But considering the spring Russell has had, this was pretty good. It was only the second time this spring he has given up less than 2 hits. Since his last appearance he made some mechanical adjustments that may have helped.
THE BAD: Cesar Cabral. The Rays are hoping to find a team in the next 4 days that thinks Cabral is worth a big league roster spot. Any scouts at yesterday’s game couldn’t have liked what they saw. Cabral struck out 4 in 2 innings, but was also pounded for 3 runs on 3 hits and a walk.
THE TELLING: John Jaso, once a leadoff candidate, may now hit 9th…Kelly Shoppach hit his 4th home run of the spring after hitting just 5 during the regular season in 2010…File this under “Things you’d never see if Lou Piniella was manager”: Johnny Damon bought several icees from the dugout during the game…Rays attendance this spring was the lowest in 3 seasons in Port Charlotte…Manny Ramirez will start his 18th consecutive opening day on Friday. That is 2nd among active players behind only Ivan Rodriguez (19).
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays announced that they have traded Joe Inglett to the Astros for a player to be named later. Inglett was signed to a minor league deal just before spring training.
- We have updated the Spring Playing Time table. [Rays Index]
- Somebody should let this artist at the Tampa Tribune know that Johnny Damon is left-handed. [@sailindude]
- Marc Topkin examines the relationship between Joe Maddon and Andrew Friedman in which Friedman considers himself the father-figure and Maddon “by far the most immature 57-year-old I’ve ever met.” [TampaBay.com]
- Robert Trigaux writes about the Rays new ad campaign, “Only at the ballpark.” [TampaBay.com]
- Headline: “This season will decide if Rays’ system is sustainable”…How is this even close to being true? What if the Rays lose 90 games this season (unlikely) but rebound next year and go back to the playoffs for the third time in five years? Is the system unsustainable just because they didn’t do well this season? [TBO.com]
- Here is a solid look at what has gone wrong for James Shields and what he can do to reverse the trend. [bleacher report]
- Chris Archer will start the season in double-A along with Matt Moore, who will be Montgomery’s opening day starter. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Drew Vettleson, the Rays’ second pick of the 2010 draft says there is a chance he could start the season at single-A Bowling Green, but says it is more likely he will start with one of the short-season teams. [Kitsap Sun]
- Robinson Chirinos is considered something of a sex symbol by at least 95 people. [Facebook]