THE GOOD: Jeremy Hellickson. It’s about time. They said his hammy wasn’t serious. But you know how the Rays are when it comes to pitchers with injuries. Often, 2 weeks becomes 8. And next thing you know Andy Sonnanstine is starting against the White Sox on that 2nd Saturday of the season. But crisis averted. Hellboy made his spring debut yesterday. And it was a solid 1-2-3 5th inning.
THE BAD: Wade Davis. Big Dub just didn’t have it yesterday. He gave up 7 hits leading to 4 runs throwing more balls (29) than strikes (28)…Adam Russell. Big Red (too easy?) continues to get pounded. He got through the 8th giving up only a single. But he came back out in the 9th and gave up 3 straight hits to guys with the numbers 81, 76 and 51 on their backs, before being pulled. Those guys usually aren’t very good.
THE TELLING: Manny Ramirez led off to get his ABs in early…Felipe Lopez continues to get a lot of work at 3B, getting the start yesterday. If Flip makes the roster, we wonder if Joe Maddon is hoping to get Evan Longoria some more games at DH this year to keep him fresh…However, Felipe Lopez, will have to beat out Elliot Johnson who got the start at SS.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The first “meeting” of the RI Baseball Book Club will be up later this morning. Nothing formal. Come and go as you please. We’ll let the discussion go all weekend.
- Joe Maddon’s father-in-law passed away on Thursday. Our thoughts are with Joe and his wife, Jaye. At this time, Maddon has no plans to leave the team. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays made their first cuts of the spring, with the following players being reassigned to minor league camp: Matt Bush, Alex Torres, Brian Baker, Jonah Bayliss, Richard de los Santos, Ricky Orta, Albert Suarez and Brandon Guyer. [The Heater]
- The fight against breast cancer has a special meaning for the Rays new reliever Adam Russell. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon and Jeremy Hellickson spoke about his spring debut. [TBO.com]
- A guy with no legs took BP with the Rays yesterday (Video). [TampaBay.com]