THE GOOD: David Price. King David looks like he is ready for the regular season with 6 Ks in 5 innings. He gave up 1 run on 2 hits and 2 walks…Matt Joyce. Joyce had a double and a triple and is starting to look like that most-days player many of us hope he can be…Power Up. Ben Zobrist, Dan Johnson and Johnny Damon all homered for the Rays.
THE BAD: Sam Fuld. Fuld, who is the likely 4th outfielder went 0-1 and is now just 2-20 in the spring. We usually don’t fret too much about spring batting averages, but with a guy like Fuld, who may not have a guaranteed job, this is not the start he was hoping for. Justin Ruggiano is only 4-19, but he has shown that he can play all 3 outfield spots.
THE TELLING: Evan Longoria was pulled early from the game due to dehydration. He will also miss today’s game…Now Joe Maddon is considering Ben Zobrist for the leadoff role…Manny Ramirez will be in LF today and James Shields will throw during a minor league intrasquad game to avoid facing a division rival.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The debut of the RI Baseball Book Club went up yesterday. The next “meeting” will be in early-April and we will discuss “The Extra 2%” by Jonah Keri. [Rays Index]
- Dirk Hayhurst has set up a fundraising page to help those in Japan. If you make a donation of $50 or more, you will receive call from Dirk thanking you. [Mercy Corps]
- The Rays lost Cesar Cabral (a rule 5 pick from the Red Sox) via waivers to the Blue Jays. Cabral was a longshot to make the roster, and as a Rule 5 pick, he had to make the roster (and stay all year) or be offered back to the Red Sox. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Marc Topkin has released his annual “Tampa Bay Rays Power Index” with Evan Longoria topping the rankings for the 3rd straight year. [TampaBay.com]
- Gary Shelton explores just how good Evan Longoria can be. [TampaBay.com]
- Dan Johnson has lost weight and is looking to take advantage of the opportunity he has this season. [TBO.com]
- Tony Fabrizio looks at how Matt Bush turned his career around. [TBO.com]