THE GOOD: Elliot Johnson. The Rays likely backup infielder and Zobrist-lite utility player, stole 3 bases. His 11 steals this spring is a new Rays Spring Training record, 2 more than Carl Crawford had in 2003…Johnny Damon. Damon walked 4 times…Wade Davis. Big Dub worked 6 strong innings striking out 5 and giving up just 1 earned run (3 runs).
THE BAD: Kyle Farnsworth. The idea of Farnsworth closing games this season may scare you, but right now he is one of the few options. So when Farnsworth goes down trying to field a grounder, for the second time this week, that’s not good. He was pulled yesterday after just one pitch, but said he felt fine afterwards. On a side note, it seems pretty clear Farnsworth won’t be winning a Gold Glove this season…Adam Russell. Russell continues to struggle, this time giving up 2 runs on 3 hits in 1 inning of a minor league game. Russell is out of minor league options, so a trip to the DL to start the season, seems like the best move.
THE TELLING: Fernando Perez will not be on the Cubs opening day roster, as he was demoted yesterday…John Jaso said it might take him 6 weeks to feel normal after taking a foul tip to the groin (it hurt just typing that). Jose Lobaton started behind the plate yesterday.
RANDOM THOUGHTS: Remember when it didn’t matter that Rays were 1-7 in the Grapefruit League? Well, then it doesn’t matter that they are 12-5 since…If Adam Russell does start the season on the DL, look for Rob Delaney and Cesar Ramos to make the opening day roster.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon sounds confident in Jose Lobaton, the likely backup catcher if John Jaso starts the season on the DL. [TampaBay.com]
- Evan Longoria is the fifth most marketable player in MLB. [Biz of Baseball]
- Evan Longoria will be hosting a CD-release party this Saturday for his buddy Daniel B Marshall. Longoria will be joined by “special guests” which sounds like he is going to try to call in some favors with his teammates. [TampaBay.com]
- More prospect predictions from the Rays blogosphere. [RaysProspects]
- Fangraphs has ranked the Rays top 30 prospects. [Fangraphs]
- Here is a look at some ex-Rays that are in various Indy leagues. [RaysProspects]
- Roger Mooney writes about Rob Delaney’s quest for a bullpen spot. [TBO.com]
- It’s the Commish’s latest Mock Draft. Check out who the Bucs might take. [JoeBucsFan]