THE GOOD: Dan Johnson. Johnson had a double and a triple. Both hits were off the wall in right field…Wade Davis. Big Dub made his spring debut with a 1-2-3 4th inning.
THE BAD: David Price. Nothing to be concerned about because he was just working on things. But he did give up 3 runs in 2 innings…No Walks. We hesitate to put this in the “Bad” because it is starting to look like Joe Maddon and Derek Shelton want the players hacking away early on. The Rays had no walks yesterday. And John Jaso is still the only regular with a walk. He has 1.
THE TELLING: Ben Zobrist started at first base for the first time this spring…Now we know why Elliot Johnson hasn’t played much. He has “tightness” in his quad and will be out a week. Sam Fuld will also miss a couple of days with a sore elbow…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Not sure if the contest is still going on, but Dirk Hayhurst is giving away a signed card with an interesting story. [Rays Index]
- Wish you could get to the Trop more often? Want to help attendance? You will want to pay attention to this. [Joe Bucs Fan]
- The Rays have signed Edgar Gonzalez to a minor league deal. Gonzalez has made 106 appearances (41 starts) in the big leagues, the last coming in 2009 with Oakland. He spent the 2010 season in triple-A with the Dodgers. Gonzalez will not be in big league camp. [MLB]
- Joe Smith writes about the transition Robinson Chirinos has made to the catcher’s position and how it made him a better hitter. [TampaBay.com]
- Ben Zobrist says that the toughest part of learning first base is learning how to take pickoff throws from the pitchers. [TampaBay.com]
- Tony Fabrizio writes about what Casey Kotchman could bring to the Rays if he makes the team. [TBO.com]
- Add Reid Brignac to the list of big leaguers that bulked up this off-season, adding 10 pounds. [MLB]