THE GOOD: Starting Pitching. About the only good thing yesterday was knowing that Andy Sonnanstine won’t be in the starting rotation unless something bad happens.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. Sonny gave up 4 more runs (3 earned) in 2 innings. It is only two outings. And it is only spring training. But until he fixes his mechanics, we wouldn’t rust him with a 10-run lead in a beer softball league…Adam Russell. He is out of minor league options, so he will be on the big league roster. But so far it has been a rough start. In 3 outings (1 inning each), he has given up at least 2 hits each time and he has allowed 3 runs. He did strike out the side yesterday…No Support. The Rays committed nearly as many errors (2) as they had hits (3).
THE TELLING: Reid Brignac has a sore groin and could be out a week…Expect a depleted lineup today as the Rays travel to Clearwater to play the Phillies. Wade Davis will be on the mound…Joe Maddon is trying hard to get BJ Upton into a good groove. No player has logged more innings this spring than Upton (30).
RANDOM THOUGHTS: Like most teams, the Rays are in a lot of trouble this season if one of their starting pitchers gets hurt. The idea of Andy Sonnanstine toeing the rubber once every five days is not pleasant.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We have been speculating that Dan Johnson and Casey Kotchman are battling for a single roster spot this spring. Figure Filbert explains why keeping Kotchman on the roster is a bad idea. [Figure Filbert]
- Will James Shields be the next Rays starting pitcher to get traded? Probably, but we doubt it happens anytime soon. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Nick Cafardo on Jim Hickey: “he may be the most important non-playing person in the American League this season.” [Boston.com]
- Roger Mooney writes about why utility players are so important to Joe Maddon. [TBO.com]
- Marc Topkin writes about the real Kyle Farnsworth. [TampaBay.com]
- The Onion takes a shot at Rays fans, or as they figure, the only Rays fan. [The Onion]
- Manny Ramirez is wearing a new t-shirt these days. [The Heater]