THE GOOD: Manny Being Awesome. Manny Ramirez hit his 3rd home run of the spring. As JB Long mentioned on Twitter last night, you think some other teams are wishing they had Manny right now for $2 million? Hey, he might quit at some point this season (we don’t think he will), but dude’s still got it at the plate…Kelly Shoppach. Shoopy hit his 2nd home run of the spring. He had 5 all last year…Elliot Johnson. EJ stole his 7th base of the Spring.
THE BAD: Sam Fuld. Fuld was 3-3 in one game, and 2-24 in all the others.
THE TELLING: Ben Zobrist made his second start at first base…Dan Johnson relieved Evan Longoria at third base…Sam Fuld got some more work in center field, solidifying his position as backup outfielder…Rather than face the Red Sox, James Shields worked 5.1 innings of a minor league games, striking out 7 and giving up 3 runs.
RANDOM THOUGHTS: Dont care if it’s Evan Longoria beating Jacoby Ellsbury at Canasta when they’re 85. We’ll ALWAYS get great joy when the Rays beat the RedSox.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Ever wonder what Stuart Sternberg has on his feet when you see those closeup interviews on TV? Mandals, of course. This is a pic of Stu recording Marc Topkin’s video report from last night’s game. [The Heater]
- The Rays announced 3 more post-game concerts: REO Speedwagon (April 30), Goo Goo Dolls (August 6) and Miranda Lambert (September 24).
- Wade Davis was moved up to the #3 spot in the rotation so that Jeff Niemann can avoid the abundance of day starts that the #3 pitcher will have in the first two months. [TampaBay.com]
- Here is video of Evan Longoria and Manny Ramirez going back-to-back and belly-to-belly. [MLB]
- A Bruce Springsteen cover band led by a childhood friend of Joe Maddon will perform a postgame concert on Sunday. Maddon may make a singing appearance. [TampaBay.com]
- It is a big sports weekend in the Bay Area. [ESPN W]
- Jeff Niemann has spent much of the spring fine-tuning his 4th pitch, the slider. [TampaBay.com]
Wade Davis (via TampaBay.com)