In 2008 it was the Rayhawks. This season, the Rays may be ready to bring back the Caveman look.

Joe Maddon announced this weekend that he has no plans to cut his hair this season, and is encouraging the players to do the same.

“I encourage the growth of follicles on our club,” said Maddon. “I think guys should grow hair wherever they’re able. I’m not planning to cut mine in 2011.”

We have to wonder if this is a move by Maddon to help welcome both Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon to the ballclub. Both players have been in situations where the length of their hair and/or facial hair was an issue.

Maddon told Marc Topkin that this move is all about having some fun while the team is working hard…

“Sometimes I just go with my instincts, and I just think it could turn into a lot of fun for the group. So whatever keeps you focused on the field, and having fun off of it, I’m all for…If we’re going to go anywhere, we’ve gots to play hard every day and have a good time while we’re doing it. Otherwise, we cannot play in October.”

Of course, we already have an idea of what JoeMa looks like with long hair. Then again, it was a little darker back then.

Good ole Joe..I don't know why I come down on him so hard...I wish I would have had him as a coach when I was a teenager....I could have done anything I wanted and he would have backed us..
    MY damn coach make us play, act and look like responsible people....IT would have been more fun with Joe but I don't think we would have been as GOOD as we were.....OH the memories..we made it through 3 years of success with out anything given to us.....

• Indiana Rays Boy says:

Let the comedy begin. I knew it, everybody have their hair like Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon. Unreal. Not only Damon and Ramirez were suppose to be contributors to the team, also material for Maddon's road trip themes. Leave the little gimmicks and team spirit to little leaguers. I want my team to focus on winning games and addressing other problems (like bullpen, full time closer and 1,000 different lineups for no reason).

• Sarah says:

Right, because we wouldn't want anyone to think that baseball was just a game, would we?

• I believe the 93 Phillies and the 2004 Red Sox won the World Series letting their hair loose. And the 86 Mets partied their way to a championship.

• Indiana Rays Boy says:

There is difference between Maddon's gimmicks and 93 Phillies and 04 Red Sox. Phillies and Red Sox had a trend the started by one or two players that everybody else followed. Maddon, on the otherhand, comes up with gimmicks and road trip themes to promote himself claiming he is more important than the team. It is ok to keep it loose but there is limit. Fergosi's Phils and Francona's Red Sox put their best nine and didn't tinker the lineup based on sabermatrics.

2. The return of the afro is imminent.

3. John says:

Bake McUpton. That would be awesome!

4. Gatorbuc15 says:

Is it just me or does Davie look a little bit like Fidel Castro with that beard?

5. David says:

So now in addition to having to hear my manager call runs "points", routinely put inferior players into the lineup (I'm looking at you Shoppach), drink hot tea in the dugout, rest players according to a schedule instead of based on need, I have to look at a gray haired hippie doing those things as well.

There is nothing worse looking than an old guy with long thinning gray hair.

Serenity now.

• Don says:

Knowledgeable Fans are beginning to see the light...other words... the moron behind the white sunglasses.....