Yesterday we spoke with a representative from FieldTurf that said the Sunburst logo, which could be seen in center field since the beginning of the 2008 season, would not be included with the installation of the new AstroTurf.
But when we spoke with the Rays, they clarified that the logo would be added at some point. They also stated that the sunburst would be a darker green this time and approximately 20% larger.
The only thing disappointing about this is we thought it would be a great opportunity to do something dramatic. It is AstroTurf after all. Why not make the sunburst bright yellow? Football teams use logos with the correct colors on their fields. Why couldn’t the Rays?
[UPDATE] Turns out Major League Baseball forbids the use of colored logos on the field. They require that any logos either be cut into the grass or, in the case of AstroTurf, look like they were cut into the grass. That is why the sunburst in center field was, and will be, dark green.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays will hold a news conference today at noon to officially announce the signings of Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon. We should also learn which two players have been removed from the 40-man roster.
- Marc Topkin reports that Manny Ramirez will switch back to the no. 24 that he wore with the Red Sox. Johnny Damon will wear no. 22. Also, Desmond Jennings has switched to no. 8. [The Heater]
- Also, Manny Ramirez says he is 12 pounds down from his 2010 playing weight. [TampaBay.com]
- Don’t forget, you can participate in a live video chat with BJ Upton today. [Rays Index]
- Theo Epstein on the Rays: “I think the demise of the Rays is greatly exaggerated.” [ESPN Boston]
- Yesterday we linked to an article that said Carl Crawford’s new deal included a no-trade clause to the Yankees and one other team. Turns out that is not entirely accurate. He has a no-trade clause to two teams, but those two teams have not been chosen yet. [WEEI]
- Here is a picture of Akinori Iwamura with his new team in Japan. We can’t remember ever seeing a pic of Aki outside the white lines in which he wasn’t smiling. [Yahoo! Japan]
- Here is an unfortunate headline for Evan Longoria. [The Celebrity Cafe]