Yesterday we wrote about Ken Rosenthal’s “thought” that wondered if the Rays should sign Vladimir Guerrero, have him DH, let Manny Ramirez play left field everyday and make Johnny Damon the starting first baseman.
Of course, this idea was shot down by a lot of people who know more about the Rays than Rosenthal. Then Rosenthal got defensive. He even snapped at me on Twitter for mentioning that I had also considered the notion for a brief moment before laughing it off.
Well, later in the day, Rosenthal spoke with somebody that told him the Rays aren’t interested in Vlad. At all. And then I laughed again.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Topkin reports that Felipe Lopez will make $1 million if he makes the team and another $1 million in incentives. So if you were wondering why Lopez might accept the Rays’ minor league offer over a big league offer from another club, that is why. [TampaBay.com]
- Former Rays manager has accepted a position as a consultant with the San Francisco Giants. [MLB.com]
- Not sure if it is going to be that bad, but WEEI has a Bullpen Power Rankings, and the Rays are 29th out of 30 teams. Ouch. They do admit that there is hope, but nothing proven yet. [WEEI]
- Rays Prospects looks at how much the upcoming draft will cost the Rays. [Rays Prospects]
- And Beyond the Boxscore looks at how much those picks are worth. [BeyondtheBoxscore]
- It is from a fantasy perspective, but here is a USA Today story on AL East prospects that features Desmond Jennings. [USA Today]
- The Red Sox signed Felipe Lopez at the end of the season with the hopes of picking up an extra draft pick. Well, one blogger is not bothered that the plan backfired, which is peculiar, because as one commenter already pointed out, several key Red Sox were picked up in the sandwich round. [Sox & Dawgs]
- Our partner in debauchery, Joe, braved the elements and made his way to Big D this week. [Joe Bucs Fan]