The PECOTA projection system at Baseball Prospectus is out and the they have the forecast for the AL East. In it, the Rays are projected to finish third at 84-78, which is right about where we would think they should be. Interestingly, they have the Red Sox winning the East at just 92-70 and the Yankees in second at 91-71.
Of course, the Rays may have the biggest margin of error in the group. And that depends a lot on the bullpen. If one or two guys step up and give Joe Maddon “Benoitian” performances, this team could be in the hunt for 93-95 wins and the Wild Card. But if the bullpen is a big pile of donkey doo doo, this team might struggle to finish .500.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The moment you all have been waiting for: Joe Maddon’s slogan for 2011: “Another Away”…Also in this piece, Roger Mooney writes that the Rays may add a player this week, with Lance Cormier as a possibility. [TBO.com]
- Joe Maddon and Andrew Friedman met with the media yesterday. Roger Mooney has the highlights. [TBO.com]
- Juan Cruz may be late to camp due to visa issues. Also, Marc Topkin reports that Manny Ramirez is expected in camp on Monday. [TampaBay.com]
- In addition to the pieces of turf, the Rays will also be having a “yard sale” with game-used bats and such. [TampaBay.com]
- We’re beginning to think the Rays spring training complex is cursed. First there were the wild boars and Pat Burrell. This year there was the bat infestation. And yesterday a small brush fire broke out. [TampaBay.com]
- John Romano writes about how the Rays’ starting rotation gives the team hope for 2011. [TampaBay.com]
- Just when you thought the Mets off-season couldn’t get any worse, Jason Isringhausen has signed a minor league deal with New York’s broke team. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- This makes sense>> One of the practice fields at the Rays Spring Training complex has been outfitted with AstroTurf. Of course, we have no idea why the main field is not AstroTurf, but hey, why practice on what you will play 81 games on. [Sarasota Herald-Tribune]