Jake McGee appeared on MLB Network Radio yesterday and had a few things to say about his role in the bullpen and those competing for jobs…
On his role: In the off-season, they told me I was going to be starting and relieving. But when I got here, they told me I am going to be a reliever…I like relieving a lot better.
On the bullpen competition: [The bullpen is] pretty much an open competition for 3 or 4 spots.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jeremy Hellickson played catch yesterday as he progresses back from a sore hamstring…Also, several players had nice things to say about the new turf. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe Maddon on the roster: ”We did lose a lot, but my goodness, we’ve got a lot here, too.” Maddon and Andrew Friedman discuss the importance of team chemistry. [TampaBay.com]
- Manny Ramirez met with the media after the first full-squad workout (VIDEO). [The Heater]
- If spring workouts are any indication, Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez will lead to a significant boost in Rays attendance. [Herald-Tribune]
- Ken Rosenthal on Manny Ramirez: “…give the knucklehead this: He’s off to a good start.” [Fox Sports]
- BJ Upton says he is in a “very good place now,” and Derek Shelton likes the changes Upton made to his swing this off-season. [TBO.com]
- Marc Topkin writes about how Dane de la Rosa went from a real estate career to out-of-the-blue candidate to win a spot in the Rays bullpen. [TampaBay.com]
- We never complain about payroll because teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are playing within the rules of Major League Baseball. But the Yankees cannot turn around and now complain that small-market teams like the Rays are now taking advantage of those same rules. [Rays Baseball Factory]
- The Rays hosted a luncheon in Lakewood Ranch looking to find fan support in Manatee County. [Bradenton.com]
- Here is the story of one fan who received a phone call from Matt Joyce during FanFest. [In The Center Of The Roof]