Relief pitcher with some previous success? Check
Coming off an injury? Check
Willing to sign a minor league contract? Check
Welcome Juan Cruz to the Tampa Bay Rays bullpen! Cruz appeared in just 5 games in 2010 for the Royals before being released. He then underwent shoulder surgery.
Cruz has experienced some success in the big leagues, averaging more than a strikeout per inning.
Given the current state of the Rays bullpen, Cruz has an excellent shot at making the team.
Oh yeah, and 11 days until pitchers and catcher report! Suck it Winter. You can stop cars, but you can’t stop time. Or Spring Training.
- Andy Pettitte (that’s 4 Ts) has decided to retire. That leaves the Yankees with AJ Burnett as their #2 starter and without a #4 or #5 starter. Not Brian Cashman’s best off-season as a GM. [NY Times]
- A limited number of fans will be able to eat with Joe Maddon at FanFest. [Rays Report]
- The Rays quest for a new stadium was a topic in the Tampa Mayoral debate. [WTSP.com]
- Big League Stew is running a “Create-a-Caption” contest on a funny photo from the Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon press conference. [Big League Stew]
- Well, there is at least one writer at ESPN.com that believes in the Rays. [ESPN]
- Are the Red Sox fans beginning to hate the Rays more than the Yankees? [NESN]
- Here is another article telling you why you don’t go to enough Rays games. [Yahoo! Sports]
- Fred McGriff no longer works for the Rays. [The Heater]