This is inspired by one of our favorite bloggers, Dustin Parkes, who has started a baseball book club in Toronto. But unlike Parkes, we won’t hold public meetings. Rather, we’d like to conduct the RI Book Club here, amongst the interwebs.

How it will work

At the beginning of each month, we will pick a book. If you would like to participate, you go out and get a copy of the book and read it during the month. At the end of the month, on a Saturday or Sunday, we will start a thread where we can discuss the book…What we liked, what we hated, questions and anecdotes.

This month’s book…

We thought we could start with Dirk Hayhurst’s book “The Bullpen Gospels.” You can order it at Amazon for $10. And it is available in e-form if that is your preferred flavor.

What we need from you…

We have a few other books in mind, but we would like to hear from you guys. If you think this is something you would like to participate in, what baseball books would you like included for future months? Let us know in the comments.

We might do something where each month, we will put two or three books up for a vote and let you guys pick.

So what do you guys think? Is this something you would be interested in? Is there something you would like us to add or do differently?

1. Martin B says:

Awesome. I'm in.

I assume next month's book will be "The Other 2%?"

2. Martin B says:

Sorry, "The Extra 2%?"

3. Rytor says:

I think it's a pretty good idea - although I'm not sure how much I would be able to contribute. I usually only read when I travel, which means I'm pretty slow when it comes to starting/finishing the literature I pick up.

So while I would most certainly use this feature as means of suggestions for baseball books to pick up, I'm not sure I could ever provide meaningful analysis in due time. But either way, I hope it works out!

4. dustin says:

This is a really cool idea! As for suggestions, Moneyball comes quickly to mind. Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy is on my list of things I mean to get around to reading, as is The Federal League of Base Ball Clubs. Anyhow, just a handful of thoughts.

5. Beth says:

Great idea.

6. Cork,
    You should get a copy of "Haunted Baseball". It has good amount of Tampa Bay Rays references, plus a few players from the Rays past and their "adventures". There is even a sequel hitting stands called "Field of Screams".

Love the book club idea. There are so many great books out there on the game. Both with a FLA feel and beyond.

7. Charles says:

Awesome, this gives me an excuse to buy this book!

I've been told that "The Machine" by Joe Posnanski is quite good, and since he's a pretty excellent writer, I believe it.

8. I heard there was a nice book called "The Bus Leagues Experience" out there.

9. Tim M. says:

Great idea. I'm in.

Btw.. The Last Best League by Jim Collins would be a great choice.

10. Scot says:

I'm totally in. I bought an e-reader last month (after much research, I chose the Sony Reader Daily 950) and at nearly 50 (ugh!) have rediscovered pleasure reading. With these new readers there is no strain on the eyes such as that which we experience from computer monitors and one can change the size of the fonts (helps with us old folks who take out our contacts.) The advantage of the Sony is it doesn't limit you to Amazon, does a great job with PDFs (important for me), allows me to check out books from the library and doesn't waste space with a keyboard on the bottom. (very light weight compared to a color nook as well.)

FYI: Dirk's book is available in epub format from Borders for 7.99

11. smelpy says:

Oh my gawwdddd this is seriously the best thing in my life right now! Thank you so much cork!

12. Kelsey says: