Nothing too fancy here. Just a look at the Rays 62-man Spring Training roster and how it breaks down by age. Players in grey are spring training invites that are not on the 40-man roster.

The average age of the spring roster is 27.8. Considering the average big leaguer peaks around age 28, this seems to be optimal. Eleven players are 28 and ten are 27. Of the players in camp, 47 are in their 20s and 15 are in their 30s. The oldest is Manny Ramirez (39) and the youngest is Tim Beckham (21).

1. Joe D. says:

Prof. If I’m reading this right though, of those 28 year olds only one Jeff Nieman is a starter, and being a Pitcher he only pays every 5th day, and 6 of the 28 year old are not on the 40 man roster.

• Cork Gaines says:

that is correct. But i think it is a strong indication that when the Rays take a flyer on somebody, they target guys in their “prime” years (27-29). If those players is ever going to peak, that is when it is most likely to happen.

2. Cork Gaines says:

I should also point out that ages are exact as of today. So if you look closely at the guys age 35, you will see that Peralta’s bar is a little longer than Farnsworth. Both are 35, but Peralta is a little older.

3. Joe D. says:

Got it, so all of those crappy middle relievers that are on the roster at age 27-29 are primed throw up their ‘career year’ 4.18 ERA just so the ancient Farnsworth can come in and blow a 6-3 8th inning lead.

4. Joe D. says:

I apologize for the pessimism, I do think it’s a good graph, and I am happy that we have some guys set to play in the prime of their careers, the 7th – 9th innings in the ‘pen scare the crap out of me. I think offensively the Rays will be as good as ever, same with the rotation, defensively I think we’re okay, but the back end of the ‘pen… Uhh-ohh…

5. Alex says:

RP Grant Balfour
    RP Chad Bradford
    RP Gary Glover
    RP Jason Hammel
    RP J.P. Howell
    RP Trever Miller
    RP Al Reyes
    RP Dan Wheeler
    CL Troy Percival

…because that bullpen was scary good right? Oh wait it was and yet going into the season how many of those guys did we actually think would be decent?

6. Joe D. says:

I hear where you’re coming from Alex, I guess the scariest thing is that at least in Feb. now I’m afraid that Farnsworth is going to get high leverage innings when April and May roll around.