Ken Rosenthal recently wrote a piece in which said there are “rumblings” from some owners that they want to see the Rays (and A’s) contracted. John Romano of the St. Pete Times wrote  that “Tampa Bay is now on the clock.”

Over at Business Insider I wrote a short piece about who might be behind the “rumblings,” and why it is not something we should worry about.

“The Yankees Can’t Beat The Rays, So They Want To Contract ‘Em” [Business Insider]

1. Ian says:

This article and the one from Field of Schemes just reiterates the fact that the east feels threatened by underdogs. It’s a sad day when the owners of the mighty Yankees are forced to resort to idle threats to “scare those rebel small market teams in the south”. I wish for the day when we hear “The Yankees dropped their X-straight series to the Rays after losing to the Orioles.” These times seem to show a changing in the guard of in the AL east when you see NY not make ONE big move in the off season, Boston have to spend a ton of money on two players and the rest of the teams in the division pick from a diet buffet. If Baltimore can keep their Showalter steam roller going I see this division getting alot more exciting and Hanks mouth needing a bigger shovel for that hole it’s digging.

2. Beth says:

Well, I agree with others who’ve pointed out that the logical extension of Steinbrenner’s point (end socialism, get teams out of weak markets) is a completely market-driven approach to team location — let teams land wherever they want, which would indeed mean more teams in places like NY and LA. Either we want real competition, or we don’t.

But the one tweak I’d make to revenue sharing is a requirement that recipients invest that money in payroll. I don’t know if that should take the form of a salary “floor” or some other mechanism. I’d hope to have the sense of perspective, were I the billionaire owner of a strong market team, to appreciate the need to keep teams solvent across the country. But I’d find it galling to pay into a revenue sharing pot and my contribution go to redecorating the home of a small market team owner.

3. Larry says:

I have to wonder about the new stadium issue. On a typical year, I go to 12- 14 games at the Trop and have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the games. What would a new stadium do for me?
    For one, if they move it from St Pete, I’d have a longer drive from Sarasota than I do now. I would guess that ticket prices might go up and I’d not be able to afford as many games. The Trop is a great place to watch a game.
    Why would a new stadium in Tampa help at all? I know the distance from Sarasota to Ray Jay is about 21 miles – 21 miles keeps folks from going to St Pete? Crazy thinking.

• Sarah says:

First, Larry, while I agree that one can thoroughly enjoy a game from at the Trop, you can’t say it’s a great stadium. It just isn’t.

Secondly, I’m always bemused by people whose defense of the Trop is that it’s closer to THEIR house than alternate locations. Larry, if the current location were deemed convenient by enough people, and attractive by enough potential season ticket holders, we wouldn’t be having any conversations about attendance, moving, contraction, or anything else. Clearly the current stadium and site have issues, and the claim “well, it’s good enough for me!” doesn’t address these problems, does it?

4. Alex says:

The Trop is not a great stadium. It sucks; plain and simple. Sure its nice to be in air conditioning, but its boring and ugly. Ask anyone that goes to a newer stadium and they’ll tell you how awesome, gorgeous, etc… the stadium is. The Trop just is. It exists for the sole purpose of housing baseball. It’s definitely not something we should be proud of. The Tampa Bay Area can do much better. People need to grow a pair. Sitting in the sun occasionally isn’t that bad. If it really is a problem to so many people then just build a retractable roof.

Its like people that are satisfied with SD tv’s. They might be satisfied with it, but once you see HD tv you can’t go back. The trop is a SD tv. It works, but not well and we can certainly do better.

• Sarah says:

Alex, in theory your retractable roof idea is great, but it probably adds about $75 million to the cost of the stadium. That roof would probably be open for home games in April, a few evening games in May, and if we are lucky for playoff games in October. The rest of the year, it’s too hot to have it open for day games, and too much threat of rain to have it open in the evening.

So….$75 million and it’s open 10 – 15 times a year? Probably not a great use of money. I’d rather spend that money on improved design so you can have an indoor stadium that feels less like a bomb shelter than the Trop does.

• Don says:

My guess isthatyou are from NY or NJ or some other slum up norh were ‘real grass” is at a premium not concrete…grass to us is not a big deal its growing every where and we don’t need to see the sun during a baseball game we see it every day at the beach…so if you want to see grass go play golf on one of our 100′s of golf courses in the area, go to the beach to sit in the sun…leave baseball stadiums to us real fans who know how to be comfortable and watch a baseball game or you can go to St. louis and sit so high up you can’t see the grass and sweat you ass off in that Midwest sun & humidity…I’M going to the trop and enjoy every min. of the game!

5. Alex says:

You can’t honestly tell me that when you watch games in Texas, St. Louis, SF, Arizona etc….that the trop comes anywhere close to those stadiums. Plus having real grass will be better for the players.

• Don says:

after going to airco0led baseball games at the “trop” in the middle of the summer, I wouldn’t go to a baseball game in texas, arizona or st.Louis if you payed for the tickets….real grass or no….I have the stuff in my front & back yard…and believe me its no big deal to look at….but to each his own maybe your not too hard to entertain…Me I like my Rays ice cold bud cool breezes and artificial grass…I can hardly tell the difference and I don’t have to cut it

6. Jordan says:

Hey everyone, my friend and I have been running a fantasy baseball league for a few years now where you get the chance to manage the players from your favorite real-life team in the world of fantasy. This year, we’re trying to expand to all 30 teams which means we’re looking for a dedicated, hard-core Rays fan who wants to manage a fantasy baseball team built around Longoria, Upton, Price, Hellickson or any one else. It’s a Yahoo league, H2H 5×5 format. You “keep” 5-10 players from your real-life team, are assessed keeper costs and then we conduct an auction draft to fill remaining roster spots with remaining dollars. This makes for a pretty even playing field (last year Orioles and Pirates placed while Phillies didn’t make the playoffs). Any way, it’s been a lot of fun and we’re looking for hard-core Rays fans. Email me if you’re interested: jordan.bissett[at]gmail.com

7. CT Yanqui says:

“The Yankees Can’t Beat The Rays, So They Want To Contract ‘Em”

Really?

Over the last five years the Yankees have a record of 53-37 against the Rays, with only one losing record (last year, 8-10). I respect the hell out of the Rays, but such columns, or headlines, are just stupid.

And the pathetic attendance is just due to the stadium? More thinking that is, as an oxymoron, profoundly stupid. Like when George Steinbrenner said that the Yankees’ attendance was forever hampered by playing in the dangerous, scary Bronx. Before the Yankees turned in a series of 4 million plus attendances. In the Bronx.

Even as a Yankees fan, I wish the Rays well. I admire much about the organization. I think it is tragic that they do not get more fans at their games. I hope that they do very well, just not as well as the Yankees. But biased nonsense is biased nonsense.

• Sarah says:

Oh, for heaven’s sake, even we Florida yahoos can figure out that the Yankees have, in past years, been able to beat the Rays.

The point of the post, and of the BI article it references, is to call out Hank Steinbrenner’s ridiculous whining about baseball’s “socialist” revenue sharing system. It could be that Steinbrenner is simply an idiot who doesn’t realize that baseball’s current system still operates very much to his team’s advantage. Or it could be that Steinbrenner is simply a sore loser who has begun crying “socialism” now because the Rays present a real challenge on the field.

Sounds as though you just didn’t read beyond the headline.

8. אתר עם מידע רב על מנעול טביעת אצבע, מנעולן בתל אביב, מנעול ביומטרי ופורץ כדאי!