The Rays have officially announced the Matt Garza trade. In addition to the players announced previously, the Rays will also be sending low-level minor league pitcher Zach Rosscup to the Cubs. Rosscup was the Rays 29th round pick in the 2009 draft.

1. a.j. says:

22-year old that had a nice year in rookie ball...we won't miss him. At his rate, he won't have a shot at the majors til he's 30.

2. a.j. says:

Hey Cork! How a 'One Where We Discuss the Rays Still Have a Team That Can Win 90+ Games'? Friedman has now said we will be adding 1-2 bats and 1-2 arms for the bullpen. That tells me he probably wants 3 players to fill out the MLB roster. I'm going out on a limb to say that we sign Vlad, Fuentes and Balfour. That will put us around $47 mil or so, and gives us a very competitive team. By signing two relievers, I think McGee will go back to Durham as a starter and will be the first pitcher called up if anyone goes down on the pitching staff...starter or reliever.

• phil says:

Do not like Vlad...perfer Thome or Damon ..prefer Rauch over Fuentes...Fuentes is lefthanded ..we have Howell, McGee, Ramos, Swindle and Cabrel from the left side... Plus Fuentes throws the ball like its a shot put...

3. Derek says:

To me, it seems like this kid could have been a nice bullpen piece next year. Assuming he started in AA and those stats at least somewhat carried over. 84 innings and not one homer, thats real nice.

4. a.j. says:

He was 22 pitching in rookie ball! He would have maybe gone to Charlotte, but I don't think we'll be missing him.

• Derek says:

I said, start in AA and see if the stats carry over. He might not have made it till mid year, but I can see this kid being in someones pen for a long time. A good starter puts in 200 innings a year, this kid has pitched almost a half of a year without giving up a homer. He was facing kids his age when he played for Hudson Valley too. Im still fine with this. I saw us giving up someone better. Im just saying, we might have been able to use this kid next year.

• Michael says:

You are severely overrating him. He would have started the eyar in BG or Charlotte. Plus, there is no way he would have been on the Rays in 2011.

• Derek says:

Youre probably right, but Id say going seven starts against guys his age, and not giving up a homer is pretty talented. If he would have been moved to relief. I dont see why he couldnt be up in 2012 at least.

5. phil says:

We have a ton of pitchers ..not going to miss this one!

6. a.j. says:

Thome has already said he wants out of our price range. I think he's going back to Minnesota, anyway. Damon fits in a sense, but we'll be extremely left-handed. But he could hit at the top of the order. Vlad, on the other hand, would provide a lot of protection in the middle of our order. Longo could finally have a huge year! Don't get me wrong, I know Longo has been great, but Pena was not the threat that Vlad would be. And the entire second half of last season, it looked to me as if Longo was trying too hard...probably cuz no one was able to protect him. I think Vlad would be best for us, but I like Damon too.

7. KL says:

He got drafted out of college (where most graduate at 22).
    How old was he supposed to be in rookie ball?

• Michael says:

That is not the point. He was a senior and could have been in BG.

• KL says:

He was injured earlier in the season so that put him behind a lot of the guys his age. I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually agree with you whole-heartedly about him not being with the Rays in '11 but I wouldn't use his age as a factor of his potential success.

8. a.j. says:

Most guys out of college start in full season leagues. Especially not the GCL. But its old news now anyway! It's not worth talking about! Like Derek said, I thought we'd end up giving someone better. I think it's a nice throw in to the deal. I definitely feel like we got the better end of this deal.

9. Beth says:

Forget about Rosscup -- am I the only one mourning the departure of Fernando Perez? I think our team IQ just dropped about 50 points.

• Derek says:

We also got a guy who went to Stanford. So, its not too much of a drop off.

• Beth says:

OK, so we're fine on the team IQ, but we've definitely lost out on the general coolness of our franchise, because Nando is pretty unique.

• dustin says:

i always liked 'nando, and i'm sad to see him leave. in addition to his speed and his at-least-competent defense, there's this:

10. a.j. says:

Ok...I was gonna let it go but I can't...Rosscup was not part of anyone's plan!!! He wasn't facing guys his age! Rookie ball in the GCL is loaded with 16-19 year old Latin kids that just signed!!! If he was going to be an important part of our future, he would have started at BG and been in Charlotte by now! He is a throw-in part of the deal. Chicago probably has a spot on their low-A team they need to fill, and he's their man! Nobody cares except him and his family. Best wishes to you kid...you never had a chance in our system, but maybe you will in Chicago!

• Derek says:

He had seven starts in the new york penn league. Which is filled with guys his age.

• Michael says:

Derek, he is not a top 30 prospect. His stuff is not nearly good enough to play in the majors either. HE was old for a prospect in HV. Plus, he would presumably play the whole year in BG and the next whole year in A+. He ain't close to helpin any team....

11. a.j. says:

That video is hilarious!!! I already was gonna miss the guy...now I hope we can get him back in Tampa eventually!