The Rays today released the image below of the new AstroTurf being installed at Tropicana Field. If you have watched any Rays games in recent years, you should immediately notice the difference in color. Compare it to the image at bottom from the ALDS in October.

Also, AstroTurf has a live cam running on their website where you can track the progress. Not quite as entertaining as a puppy cam, but still fun to check from time-to-time. [Tropicana Field Live Cam]

Click here to see the before and after shots…

1. Gatorbuc15 says:

Yeah they are definitely different. Looks pretty good.

2. Joe says:

I don’t know, it looks….faker? to me. I don’t think I am a fan.

3. Martin B says:

I wonder if they’ll put the blue sunburst in Center like they had on the fieldturf.

The old blue sunburst looked like a very large, disgusting tobacco stain.

4. Brendan says:

I have to agree. The field turf looks more natural. The new stuff looks like the fake crap that the Reds and Phillie’s used to play on.

• Cork Gaines says:

FieldTurf definitely looks more realistic in person. I have been on some high school football fields where it took me a second before I realized it wasn’t actually grass. But I also think the FieldTurf looks horrible on TV after a while. It gets splotchy and too shiny in certain spots to the point that it looks cheap.

• KillaTapes says:

Yeah, the Field Turf has looked awful for years. I remember being embarrassed by it at the ’08 series. I think even though it will look faker, the fact that the Astro Turf will look/be new will go a long way in the Trop’s overall appearance.

5. Greg says:

I think I’ve been putting that in my son’s Easter basket. That is some serious green right there.

Just another improvement to the best baseball park to watch a game in America….
    Thank you AstroTurf…..its a freebee….

7. StPeteDave says:

Looks much more fake than the field turf, this is giving me bad vibes, I feel a more high dollar version of the “Hit Show” season coming. (God I hope not!!!!)

GO RAYS