Are you sitting down? You will want to sit down for this. Rafael Soriano has agreed to a contract with the *gulp* Yankees. For a lot of money: Three years, $35 million. And with that, Soriano’s new nickname will be MFIKTRTFEM (Mother F***** I’ll Kill The Rays Too For Enough Money, it is pronounced “Carl Crawford”).
So after saying he wouldn’t give up his first-round pick for Soriano, Brian Cashman just gave the Rays his first-round pick. And with that, the Rays now have three first-round picks and six “sandwich” picks between the first and second rounds, which will certainly please the crowd that likes potential over the product at the big league level.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jon Heyman says the Rays are one of several teams showing interest in Jon Rauch. The reliever saved 21 games for the Twins last year, with a 3.12 ERA and 2.94 FIP. [Twitter]
- Scott Boras pumps up a few of his clients, all three of whom (Johnny Damon, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez) have been on the Rays radar. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Marc Topkin writes about the struggles of Tim Beckham, who is quickly becoming an after-thought in the Rays organization. [TampaBay.com]
- Roger Mooney spoke with Chris Archer about being traded from the Cubs to the Rays and when fans might see him at the Trop. [TBO.com]
- The Rays free agents have taken in $213 million this off-season. [Rays Report]