Are you sitting down? You will want to sit down for this. Rafael Soriano has agreed to a contract with the *gulp* Yankees. For a lot of money: Three years, $35 million. And with that, Soriano’s new nickname will be MFIKTRTFEM (Mother F***** I’ll Kill The Rays Too For Enough Money, it is pronounced “Carl Crawford”).

So after saying he wouldn’t give up his first-round pick for Soriano, Brian Cashman just gave the Rays his first-round pick. And with that, the Rays now have three first-round picks and six “sandwich” picks between the first and second rounds, which will certainly please the crowd that likes potential over the product at the big league level.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Jon Heyman says the Rays are one of several teams showing interest in Jon Rauch. The reliever saved 21 games for the Twins last year, with a 3.12 ERA and 2.94 FIP. [Twitter]
  • Scott Boras pumps up a few of his clients, all three of whom (Johnny Damon, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez) have been on the Rays radar. [MLB Trade Rumors]
  • Marc Topkin writes about the struggles of Tim Beckham, who is quickly becoming an after-thought in the Rays organization. [TampaBay.com]
  • Roger Mooney spoke with Chris Archer about being traded from the Cubs to the Rays and when fans might see him at the Trop. [TBO.com]
  • The Rays free agents have taken in $213 million this off-season. [Rays Report]

Tags

1. Charles says:

This has been the offseason of players I like signing with teams I hate.

Crawford: Red Sox (this is the worst because I will have to see Crawford highlights on the local news 162 times a year).
    Pena: Cubs
    Lance Berkman: Cardinals (after already having been traded to the Yankees in the same year Roy Oswalt is traded to the equally hated Phillies)
    MFYDTM (Motherf***er You're Dead To Me): Yankees

On the plus side, the likelihood of Soriano burning out is pretty high since that Yankees rotation behind Sabathia is more than a little suspect.

2. phil says:

the Rays need Rauch to go along with Peralta, Farnsworth, Ramos and Russell and Sonny...then add McGee and Howell and they are fine!

• Derek says:

Sonny should be closer next year. He has been forced to the bullpen, asked to be "hurt," taken off the playoff roster, and yet still loves the team enough to draw funny faces on bobble-heads. Countless comments and articles have been written about how bad of a person Crawford is. where is the thank you Sonny article? (I dont actually want him to close, but I do think Mcgee should be a starter in Durham.)

• Beth says:

I don't know if making him closer is the way to reward him, but he certainly should get whatever the baseball equivalent of "Miss Congeniality" would be.

• Derek says:

Although I did say I dont want him to close, I wonder how good he could be, if he knew he only had to pitch two innings max. Lets say everything goes to hell. I wouldnt mind giving him a shot in the 6th-7th.

• matt says:

i wouldn't be surprised if he was a good bullpen guy. It couldn't hurt to try him out in spring training.

3. Derek says:

I thought the Rays were the only team to lie to its fans. Damn, I guess we were all wrong.... Id say Beckham is just as popular as ever, but for what reasons? 2011 is very important, if he wants to remain a "top prospect." "potential over product" This isnt a trade-off, but whatever. 3 years 35 million??? Clearly the Rays paid way too much for that Farnsworth fellow...

• Cork Gaines says:

Does that mean Pat Burrell was a bargain at $16 million since the Yankees gave ARod $275 million?

• Tone says:

Thank you for that sir; I would not have responded to that comment as eloquently.

• Derek says:

lol, this is awesome. Im not sure if this is a troll, or what.

Here are the stats of more comparable players.

Carlos Pena 2009: 39hrs, .227AVG, .356OBP, 2.8WAR.
        2010: 28hrs, .196avg, .325obp, 1.0war
        Pat Burrell 2007: 30hrs, .256avg, .400obp 2.1war
        2008: 33hrs, .250avg, .367obp 3.0war

One gets 16 million for two seasons. The other gets 10 mill for one.

• Tone says:

Pena is an all around better player than Burrell, Fat Burrell is one dimensional and that one dimension sucks. All of your "lol" shit is just sad, are you 12yrs old? Do you watch Twilight movies while you look up stats that don't prove your weak points?

• Derek says:

Yes, comparing the contract of A-rod to the one of Burrell is a strong point.................... My Computer is connected to my TV, so what youre suggesting is not possible. How is Pena any better at this point in his career? Even before hand, Burrell was the better player. 1st base is a joke on defense, and Penas defense is severally overrated. At least I prove my points with real information, not just "hey, that guy sucks!!!!"

• Tone says:

I have watched many games in my day, and Burrell sucks(said it again) and Pena does not. Pena is not worth 10 million; but is he worth more than Burrell? Yes he is. 1st base defense is not "overrated", you will see when a bunch of balls slip by Dan Johnson while runners are on 2nd. Pena also walked more, hit more bombs, and is more feared by pitchers. You are a fool who tries to use stats to cover up his lack of baseball knowledge(or you are 12yrs old, if that IS true then disregard every insult and stay away from drugs ;).

• Derek says:

Pena's defense IS overrated. Johnson did play 1st for the A's, so we will see how bad he really is. lol again, Burrell has more career homeruns, walks %14 of the time. Compared to %13 for Pena. Burrell also had 8 great years in Philly, Pena had "3" here. Youre not going to win the Burrell vs Pena argument, but Ill be glad to keep proving you wrong.

• Tone says:

I could talk about Gary Sheffield the same way since he has great "career" numbers. But I was foolishly under the impression we were talking about current gameplay, not the last 8 years. So yes if you want to span a large number of years and discount Burrells last 2 seasons then you win the prize. But if we are talking about what kind of player each one is today or when they both played for the Rays...well I'd be handing you big ol' can of whip ass boy.

• Derek says:

Burrell was a lot better than Pena last year too. Just not for us. 20hrs and a .252 avg. Burrell had one less hit, yet had well over 100 less Plate appearances. Facts, what are they, you ask. I was just trying to prove that at the time of their signings. Burrell was worth more. I dont know why you got the idea that we were talking about current gameplay....

• Greg says:

I agree on Farnsworth even though I realize it's not a lot of money. Wasn't Balfour looking for something like a 2 year, $8M deal? It seems that Balfour is a far better pitcher. Farnsworth couldn't get people out when he touched 100mph. Couldn't we have even front-loaded a Balfour deal with $5M this year and $3M next year? Especially since he's still on the market after many of the bigger names have signed.

• Tone says:

These kinds of moves show that Friedman is not immune to bad decisions. It reeks of Burrell, Percival, and Shoppach. Not that I know better overall, but I could have told him before he signed(traded for Shop) that those three sucked. Kyle Farnsworth sucks. I am so glad to have moved from NY recently, all of my former co-workers(Yankee fans) would have rubbed my nose in this signing.

• Derek says:

lol Im sure you were mad about all three of those.

• Tone says:

No I don't like them, and I don't like people that use "lol" either.

• Derek says:

Im not a fan of the chat speak either. GTG, LMAO, UR, U. It is very "12 year old", but ill keep using lol as a moching tool. As it seems to have worked.

• Mike says:

Just an additional item to consider regarding any Balfour comparison: wouldn't you need to take into account that signing him would in essence end up costing the Rays 2 draft picks since the Rays would not receive the supplemental picks that they would receive if he signs elsewhere?

• Beth says:

Yes, but how many draft picks can you use in one year? At some point you actually do need players on the field.

I sure hope this is one very talented draft class coming up.

• Greg says:

I guess, but do you want the picks or do you want Balfour? At some point, collecting picks becomes counterproductive because you can't sign them all.

• Derek says:

Farnsworth has had two very good years in a row now. Balfour skipped a year. (2008, 2010) I have no idea what his asking price is, but if 2/8mill is it, then I wouldnt mind that.

• Tone says:

He sucks, and he will continue to suck. Just wait and see.

• Derek says:

lol, how funny is it that I just called you out for "he sucks" and you use it here. He hasnt had a very good career, but overall, neither has Balfour... Or Gregg, or Benoit, Downs is good, but I wouldnt sign him to a three year deal.

• Tone says:

"sucks" is a marvelous adjective that can easily summarize years of watching a certain player perform badly. But if you prefer; He is an awful pitcher who was severely overpaid considering that this organization has little money to spend and little room for mistakes. I have seen Kyle Farnsworth give away a great many games; I don't like the idea of him doing that to my favorite baseball team. Kansas City stats are almost useless in this instance, sorry.

• Derek says:

You dont get a better pitcher for 3.2 million. Think whatever you want, it wont happen. You watched him suck for the Yanks, but I cant tell you he was better the last few years? I see no point in this argument. Come sept, if he was good, youll be happy. Ill be happy, but if he was bad, youll be the 12 year old. Saying HAHA I told you so!!! I want Rauch to close. Thats all I ask for now. I want Manny, and I want to God to answer my prayers that someone can hit from the left side, or we will never win a game against a RHP.

• Greg says:

Disagree...2009 for Farnsworth with the Royals was ok at best and his work with Atlanta the last part of the year was horrendous, though his overall numbers look ok from good work with the Royals from the first part of last season. I understand his salary is a function of service time, but I'm concerned about how we'll use him. He's neither a closer nor a setup man, so how many middle relief guys do we need, you know?

• Tone says:

I like your comment. You must watch baseball games.

• Derek says:

I guess 2009 was OK if you look at ERA, but he had a k/9 of 10. A low HR/9, he just had a really high BABIP, his highest ever. .387 I think. Overall, it was his second best year of his career. 2005 being the best. Clearly youre just talking about ERA here., because I dont see how he was bad in ATL other than in ERA. He might have tried to change something in AUG, but it lead to more walks, so he went back to whatever, and had a good sept/oct.

• Greg says:

Not just ERA...in 2009 he lost 5 games and blew 2 saves out of the pen and recorded only 5 holds (which are easy to rack up) in 41 games. His WHIP was 1.53 (this is really bad), so realize that while his ERA was in fact poor, he allowed a lot of inherited runners to score which don't even count toward ERA. In 2010, he was much better until the trade and had a bad August which left in in low leverage situations the rest of the way. Look, if he's on the Rays, I'll be rooting for him to do well, I was just saying I don't have confidence in him and I feel like we're collecting a bunch of middle relievers that can't finish games.

• phil says:

hopefully Farnsworth gives us 2 solid months then we JP back!

• Derek says:

Most of his hits in 2009 were singles. Id say we have a better defense and that number would be less here. It was just 37 innings, but still, something like 3 hrs and 1-2 triples? I think. I dont want him to close games. I want him to be balfour with a better groundball rate.

• phil says:

he (Balfour) just signed with Oakland

4. MJ says:

Scott Boras is doing work.

5. Rob says:

The Yanks will pay several millions more for their set-up man than Tampa Bay will pay it's ENTIRE rotation!

6. Dave says:

Per draysbay, if Balfour signs with the As, we'll now have the following picks: "So we’d pick 24, 31, 32, 38, 39, 40, 52, 56, 59, 60, 75, and 89 by the time the second round is over"

WE'LL NEVER SIGN ALL THOSE! I was invited to a sit-down with Matt Silverman during the 2009 season when we didn't sign several picks. Sure, we got compensated and signed our 2010 picks, and while I asked him why we didn't sign those other guys he didn't say it was all about money, but I've got to believe it was.

I love the idea that we have so many picks (and am hoping this is going to be a very deep draft), but how in the world do they expect to sign 12 first and second round picks!!!???

• Dave says:

...let me try to answer my own question...this year's payroll sub $40 million? Perhaps that's how.

• Derek says:

Washington maybe. Diekroeger (sp?) no, he said himself it wasnt about money. He is still (I believe) at Stanford.

7. Dre says:

I'm just wondering how CC feels about that tattoo on his neck now that the zodiac signs are different