Rafael Soriano was introduced to the New York media yesterday. And during the press conference, Brian Cashman admitted that he was not in favor of signing Soriano and that he had no hand in the negotiations.
Also, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News appeared on WFAN in New York City and added his own twist to the Soriano “hissy fit” saga with the Rays.
“I talked to some people in Tampa who said initially he was not a fan favorite in the clubhouse. But that people did like him eventually. That he sort of found his way.”
That take is much more believable than the version Bill Madden gave a few days ago and jives more with what we saw on the field. It was in the second half of the season that the other players began rallying around MFIKY with the shirt-untucked celebration after games.
Of course, this doesn’t mean the coaches and front office didn’t still have a problem with Soriano. But it definitely fits better with what we saw as fans.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- I have been working on a new feature over at Business Insider, the “Chart of the Day.” Check out this one on how long it took Floridians to learn how to spell Dwyane Wade’s name. I post a new chart everyday. [Business Insider]
- Andrew Friedman appeared with Dan Sileo on WDAE 620 yesterday. Mark Topkin has Friedman’s thoughts on who will play certain positions, when we can expect to see Desmond Jennings and whether Pat Burrell was a mistake. [The Heater]
- BJ Upton made an appearance in-studio with JB Long on the Brighthouse Sports Network. [Bay News 9]
- We wonder if The Trop made this list. [Business Insider]
- This link has an image — albeit not a very good one — of Jeremy Hellickson having his jersey retired by his high school. [WHOtv.com]