Marc Topkin reports that the Rays are still interested in Brian Fuentes and that the Matt Garza deal may have freed up money for signing Fuentes.
The Rays continue to show interest in free agent left-handed closerBrian Fuentes, though nothing appears imminent. The salary freed up in the Garza deal might help them bolster the bullpen.
The Rays are just one of several teams interested in Fuentes. And while he may like the idea of closing for the Rays as opposed to setting up for another team, this will still come down to money. But with a projected payroll of just $33.3 million right now, Fuentes seems more realistic.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Here is a look at what the Rangers offered the Rays for Matt Garza, which ironically, would have also included Robinson Chirinos. [ESPN Dallas]
- Our hope for the Rays signing Jim Thome just took a hit as now the Rangers are reportedly showing interest. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Jason Bartlett signed a 2-year, $11 million extension. We had Bartlett projected at $5.5 million in arbitration this year, so that is right on target. [The Heater]
- Jim Callis of Baseball America says Chris Archer and Hak-Ju Lee would be among the Rays top 10 prospects, but neither would crack the top 3. [Baseball America]
- According to John Sickels, the Rays now have 2 of the top 6 pitching prospects in baseball and 4 of the top 33. In total, the Rays have the second most valuable collection of prospects. [Minor League Ball]