Jon Heyman says Johnny Damon is a possibility for the Rays (not news) and that the team is interested in Andruw Jones (very interesting news). He adds that the Yankees are also showing interest in both players.
The problem with Jones is that he is just a shell of his former defensive self. In 2007 he was worth 23.1 runs defensively, but in the three years since then, he has only been worth 4.4 runs, total.
He did have his best year offensively since 2005 this past season. He hit .230-19-48 in 107 games. Yes, that was his best year with the bat in five years. So maybe the Rays can get Jones on a one-year deal and hope to catch Rays of sunlight in a bottle.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Spring Training tickets go on sale this week. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays are one of six teams that have offeref Jose Veras a minor league deal. Veras, a right-handed relief pitcher made 48 appearances for the Marlins a year ago with a 3.75 ERA and 54 strikeouts in 48.0 innings. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Yankees are still trying to sign Rafael Soriano according to Jon Heyman. [Twitter]
- Tony Fabrizio writes about JP Howell’s recovery. Howell feels he can be back in April but it might be more like Mid-May. [TBO.com]
- Dawn Klemish spoke with Matt Bush about the second-chance the Rays have given him as well as his influence on Tim Beckham. [MLB.com]
- Rays Prospects interviewed Jim Callis about the Rays new prospects, Tim Beckham and the rest of the farm system. [Rays Prospects]
- Radio voice Andy Freed has signed a three-year extension. Now if we can just figure out how to tell him and Dave Wills apart, we would be happy. [TampaBay.com]