BJ Upton is making the media rounds this week to promote his upcoming charity bowling event. Yesterday morning he was in studio for “The Morning X” show on 97X (you can see a portion of the interview below).

During the interview, Upton was asked about his walk-up music (music picked by a player to be played as he comes to bat). Upton said that he wanted to use “No Hands” by Waka Flocka this past season, but apparently the Rays had a problem with that (via Seth of 97X on Twitter)

Upton said the Rays wouldn’t let him use Waka Flocka “No Hands” as his walk up song cause it was about making it rain and strippers.

OK, that seems reasonable. The Rays do promote themselves as a family-oriented organization. Except, it was apparently ok for Johnny Gomes to use “Crazy Bitch” by Buckcherry. And that song is far more suggestive than “No Hands.”

1. Beth says:

I might have thought that the Rays management simply didn’t know what Gomes’ song was about, but with a name like “Crazy Bitch” they can hardly plead innocence.

I think BJ has a first amendment issue here, and he should sue.

• Cork Gaines says:

I should probably make it clear, that in the interview, BJ does not seem upset about this at all. He even sort of acknowledges that it probably isn’t the most appropriate song in the world. It just seems like there was a double-standard here.

It is quite possible that incidents like Gomes and his song promoted the Rays to become more involved in their players’ music choices.

• Andy says:

There is no First Amendment Issue. The First Amendment only protects you from the GOVERNMENT interfering with your speech.

• Beth says:

Andy, I was joking.

If BJ had in fact been unhappy his remedy, I believe, would have been through employment law, showing that his employer enforced regulations (in this case against “inappropriate” walk up music) selectively.

But it’s a non-issue. Only worth talking about because we’ve got several weeks to kill before spring training starts.

• Andy says:

I was gonna preface what I said by “you must be joking”, but was trying to not flame you on it. You’d be amazed how many people think they actually can sue for things like this.

2. His 2009 at-bat song “Day and Night” by Kid Cudi was all about selling weed. BJ has interesting taste in music.

I don’t know what all the fuss is about…Tell BJ… he makes it rain on me EVERY time he comes to the plate…..now…. if he could help with the strippers….that would be ok!

4. David says:

Is there a song out there titled “Don’t Strikeout So Much Please”. I think that would be a good one for BJ to use.

5. Jorge G says:

I think this double standard is because the Rays FO is (rightfully) scared shitless of Johnny Gomes. I would be.

6. Blake says:

If Jonny Gomes walks into your office, are you telling him no?