Marc Topkin is reporting that the Rays and BJ Upton have agreed on a one-year deal for $4.825 million, avoiding arbitration. We projected Upton’s 2011 salary at $5.0 million. This leaves Andy Sonnanstine as the only remaining player that is arbitration-eligible. Topkin says Sonny is also expected to sign prior to tomorrow’s deadline*. [The Heater]

*The Rays do not negotiate with players once figures are exchanged for arbitration unless it is a long-term deal.

What in heavens name would Upton and Sonanstine use as ammunition in “salary negotiations”…..maybe the Rays would let me handle these two?

• scmac328 says:

Only in baseball can you perform at this rate .237 with 18 homers, 62 RBIs and 42 steals. And get a raise from 3mil/yr to 4.825mil.

• Tom says:

I do not understand the problem with Upton’s contract. Cork projected him for 5 million. As a comparison Shane Victorino hit .257 w/ 18 homers, 69 RBI, 34 steals and score fewer runs than B.J. (88-84) just signed a 3 yr 22 million contract. Victorino also plays in a much smaller park and is 4 years older than Upton. I do not remember hearing Philly fans complain about his contract.

2. a.j. says:

I agree Don!
    On a separate note, Jon Rauch just signed with Toronto! I’ll eat my words now…I really thought we’d sign him! Our only hope for a closer to be good is to put McGee in the role. And to be honest, I think he could’ve been better than Rauch anyway. Might as well give the kid the job and see if he runs with it! For all we know, McGee could be the next Billy Wagner! Have him close with Farnsworth, Russell, Howell and Peralta getting the chance to hand him the ball…it could work…although I’m not thrilled with the likelihood. I’m out of ideas for the bullpen besides that…anybody else got one?

• scmac says:

Outside of starting pitching the entire team next year is built on maybes, ifs, hopefully, etc. Why not put closer in the same category!

3. David says:

I’m not sure our starting pitching will be all that good. History tells us Hellickson won’t be called up until late May (got to save that extra year of control) and unless you believe like the Sabertrons that Shields was just the unluckiest pitcher whoever played I don’t see him getting any better so our starting pitching will be worse than last year by a good amount until late May at which point we’ll be lucky if it’s as good.

People have no idea how big a deal it is losing Balfour-Benoit-Soriano and only replacing them with a washed up Farnesworth. You know that warm fuzzy feeling you had last year with a 1 run lead in the 7th, well, cherish the memory. If you can stomach it, remember the 2007 bullpen because that’s what it’s going to be like most nights.