Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Rays may be close to dealing Matt Garza to the Chicago Cubs…

The Cubs appear to have moved past the Texas Rangers and into the driver’s seat in efforts to acquire Tampa Bay Rays 15-game winner Matt Garza — a potential move that could put the Cubs back into the ­National League Central title conversation for 2011…A major-league source said Tuesday the Cubs were close to trading for the power-pitching right-hander…

As we mentioned previously, the Cubs must think they are close if talks have continued this long.

Wittenmyer does not indicate what the Rays would receive in return. However, Bruce Levine previously reported that a deal would likely include Robinson Chirinos, a catcher that is close to the big leagues and has a very good bat. And earlier we heard that young shortstop prospect Hak-Ju Lee could be part of the package.

1. SeanDubbs says:

How far away is Chirinos? Could we trade Shoppach off in a related deal and save $3 million?

2. SeanDubbs says:

Give me Chirinos, Lee, & Vitters and I'll be happy with the deal. I doubt we can get Jackson from them.

3. phil says:

N0 NO NO! Trade Matt Garza after this year or at least at the trade dead line if we are out of it ..give this year a chance!

4. Charles says:

Chirinos is 26 already, but the guy definitely seems to be able to hit. He only has 15 games in AAA to his credit though, so I agree that we wouldn't see him until mid-year at best.

Hak-Ju Lee had a decent hitting year in A ball but he was a BJ Upton level butcher with the glove in the infield. I wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to an outfielder at some point.

I think nabbing both of these guys + somebody is a pretty decent haul for Garza, especially if Chirinos is the real deal.

5. St. Aug Ryan says:

My concern is this kid has been bouncing around the minors
    for almost 10 years, even though he is only 26. His stats are not
    that impressive other then last season. Maybe he is a late bloomer.
    I wish we could keep Garza. Hurry up and get here Spring
    Training!!!

6. JimfromNPR says:

What happens to Jaso?

• Cork Gaines says:

I don't Jaso is ever going to be a full-time catcher. I think his future is as poor team's first baseman-DH-backup catcher. He has worked hard to improve his game defensively, but it just doesn't come naturally to him for whatever reason.

• phil says:

You can never have enough catching?

7. Tone says:

If this deal happens, I will be pissed. I do not see any of the prospects involved being worth it, not even close. This team is being killed very quickly. Fuck the front office if they do this, they are not morons so I see this as just plain giving up and trying to save a buck.