We already heard that Rafael Soriano’s free agency was only about making the most money when Buster Olney reported that Soriano would sign to be a bullpen catcher if the team paid him enough. So he is a greedy bastard. Most people are.

But now we learn that Soriano was not well-liked among people in the Rays organization. In fact, according to Bill Madden, most hated Soriano

But losing his No. 1 draft pick wasn’t the only thing that bothered Cashman about signing Soriano. The 31-year-old Dominican’s makeup is – and should be – of great concern. Despite his league-leading 45 saves and 1.73 ERA, Soriano was hated by almost everyone in Tampa Bay last year. His periodic hissy-fits over being brought into games in non-save situations, or being asked to pitch more than one inning wore thin on Rays manager Joe Maddon. The final straw was the last game of the season – Game 5 of the ALDS versus Texas – when Maddon asked Soriano to pitch the ninth inning with the Rays trailing, 3-1. After throwing a tantrum in the bullpen in front of all his fellow relievers, Soriano trudged into the game and promptly gave up a single to Nelson Cruz and a game-breaking homer to Ian Kinsler.

Oh yeah. They’re going to love him in New York. Unless you regularly pee your pants, you probably shouldn’t be throwing hissy fits.

MFIKY was extremely popular among Rays fans because he was a character and he provided 9th inning insurance that Rays fans have rarely known. But hearing this news should make it easier to boo Soriano when he shows up at The Trop in pinstripes.

1. Sarah says:

Well, Carl Crawford didn’t want to bat lead off or play center field. Don’t know if he had “hissy fits” about it, but seems to me that many players are very inflexible about how and when they are used — and if they are really good they can get away with it. Don’t really think there’s a huge story here, and if he hadn’t been traded to a city with 4 newspapers competing for attention, we probably wouldn’t have heard about it at all.

2. Tone says:

It could be bullshit. It seemed like the other players like him to me. I bet the NY reporter was fed this garbage, maybe the bullpen coach or a staffer did not like him, but the most hated? I doubt it. He will shut us down in the 8th more than we will like, I hate the Yankees. This article is a bit of a stretch, but if it makes you feel better about having a suck ass bullpen this year, good for you. I am still trying to get over the heart break of having to lower my expectations so much for this year. Before 2008 it was so easy because there was never any highs or pride; just hope for the future. Bring back Al Reyes so he can get into a fight and pitch the next day with a busted face.

• Sarah says:

Tone, I tend to agree — remember how the Rays took to untucking their shirts in appreciation of Soriano? I don’t think you do that for a fellow you hate. Also, if you are a Rays player, I would imagine knowing that your late game lead was safe would be enough to make you feel warmly toward the guy. You don’t have to invite him over for dinner.

3. MJ says:

I’ll be interested to see if any of our local media comments on this story. It seems pretty out of the blue. I feel if most of the team “hated” Soriano, the media and then fans would have caught wind somehow by season’s end. Everyone new Burrell was a pain in the ass. Maybe putting up the numbers means your tantrums get swept under the rug. This by no means says the players liked Soriano, but they all seemed to take to his “shirt untucking ceremony” after wins through the whole season. Would you emulate someone you hate?

4. Myrna says:

Just wait til they start booing him in New York. I doubt he’ll have the year he had as a Ray. I don’t know if this story is true or not, but I enjoyed watching him as a player in a Rays uniform. Will boo him in his Yankee uni.

5. Brendan says:

Bill Madden is a horses ass that never has anything good to say about the Rays and spends haft his time writing articles about how the stadium is a dump and the rays should be contracted.
    Here’s what Hickey had to say about Soriano on the New york daily News

I’ll tell you what I know…I make it a point to watch player actions/and reactions during a game esp. when they are NOT playing…I never seen Soriano throw a “hissy-fit”, body language maybe…but he’s a tough guy who knows how to be successful…he shows his attitude….
    I know this.. he came out of the clubhouse every night about the 6th inning and made it a point to “make the rounds” talking to everyone in the dugout…you don’t do that if your a pain in the ass (ala Burrell)
    Plus, him and Maddon drank wine almost every night after games… Do you drink regularly with a person you don’t like??
    Story is bullshit!

7. JoeRaysFan says:

Smells fishy. Ditto on the shirt untucking. And what was there not to like? The guy was freakin’ lights out nearly every night, and you’d think he didn’t couldn’t piss off a lot of guys anyway because of the language barrier. Not his fault they couldn’t beat Texas.